Halloween Forum banner

WooHoO! First tombstone completed!

Static: 
3K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  Gothikim 
#1 ·
I got inspired by this forum and decided to try to make my own tombstones this year. I have just completed one and have 4 more carved and ready to paint. I just had to share it with you all since I got such great information from the pics posted and tutorials. I live in California so it was hard finding the good foam. I used the foam insulation sheets, but they are the styrofoam stuff and doesnt cut as clean or nice. But, it does make the stones look older and more"carved". I am pleased with the result. Cant wait to finish the rest! Thanks everyone!

See less See more
#12 ·
That's fanatastic! I'm amazed. I tried carving my own tombstones and it was clearly NOT where my talents lie. Mine looked like they belonged in a hillbilly cemetery.

So what did you carve it with? Did you use a template or freehand?

Excellent work - keep it up!

#13 ·
Thanks everyone for the wonderful words of encouragement! Can' t wait to work on the others. Uruk-hai I love the idea of the skeleton hand and six shooter, my son may need to donate his for the Halloween display for awhile!

Madame Leota-I used the computer to make a template and then used a light spray of adhesive on the paper to stick it to the tombstone surface and then used the dremel to carve it out. It took some getting used to and I noticed with the bead stryrofoam that it kicked the dremel around a little at times and so it doesn't look perfect. But, I was looking for a very aged and hand chiseled look and I think it works.

#20 ·
Yes I did use a dremel tool. It was my first time using it and although it was easy, it took some time to find how to work on the styrofoam with it cause the speed makes a big difference. Too fast and it melts it and too slow and it kicks around alot with the beads of styrofoam. Also, now that I have painted one, I found that going too deep is harder to get it painted. But all in all very easy to use.

I got my styro insulation sheets from HD and Lowes. Again they are not the good ones sine I live in CA, but it worked.

#21 ·
Great job Addicted! My first stones were hand-carved with an Exacto and not nearly as nice as yours :)

I'm too chicken to touch bead styro, so my hat's off to you. If your Dremel works with the plunge router attachment, I highly recommend it. It's awesome for working on foam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.