Halloween Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Just found 36 inch tall, about 1.50/1.75 wide wooden wheels with steel bands at my At Home store on clearance for $39.96. Regular $79.97. Couldn't decide on buying or building, saw these and decided to buy. View attachment 761739
I think you made the right call. If someone GAVE me all the pieces precut and said, "I'll pay you $40 for each assembled wheel" I can't say I would take them up on it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
They're like my daughter's last BF. Good-looking, but not much else.

They're not bored out for an axle and the construction on the ones I've seen is one step above chewing gum + wishful thinking. Great for setting a scene (e.g. Boot Hill cemetery, saloon, propped up against a building in a ghost town, etc.) but not for what they're intended (supporting a wagon). Free advice: travel light.

·
Registered
143 Posts
They are great for exactly what they are intended to do. Look like prop wheels, the prop itself will be supported from underneath and painted flat black so it will be concealed by the wheels. Like Engineerchic said, it is much harder making an actual wheel. Plus a working axle assy would add unnecessary weight. This way run some LG dowels thru the front center to look like axles, everything comes apart into flat pieces for easy storage.
So good purchase, you would have been rethinking it had you walked away without them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're like my daughter's last BF. Good-looking, but not much else.

They're not bored out for an axle and the construction on the ones I've seen is one step above chewing gum + wishful thinking. Great for setting a scene (e.g. Boot Hill cemetery, saloon, propped up against a building in a ghost town, etc.) but not for what they're intended (supporting a wagon). Free advice: travel light.
Thank you, they will not be supporting the hearse, your correct they wouldn’t hold. Regards

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought some on eBay for our buggy and they actually held the first year just fine. The second year I put the thing on some uneven ground, angled downhill and it leaned and broke the center hub of one wheel still useable. definitely a great idea to support it instead of using the wheels to carry the weight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought some on eBay for our buggy and they actually held the first year just fine. The second year I put the thing on some uneven ground, angled downhill and it leaned and broke the center hub of one wheel still useable. definitely a great idea to support it instead of using the wheels to carry the weight.
Thank you for your suggestions, I will do that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think you made the right call. If someone GAVE me all the pieces precut and said, "I'll pay you $40 for each assembled wheel" I can't say I would take them up on it.
Oh, yeah, wheels are a real bear. Even if they don't have to function, they havecto be extremely symmetrical to look right. Home-made is not worth the hassle!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts