Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For this year's Pirate Theme, I figured I needed a sign hanging out over the sidewalk to catch the eyes of the Trick-or-Treaters - not like they won't see the cannon, pillory, 15' Kraken monsters, or mermaid, but what the he$$?

This was a quick, low-cost project -

Pirate Boot Sign - 3.jpg

To make the sign - I used a single 6" wide fence picket from Home Depot (about $1.33). I cut this down to the size and used some 1x2 for the frame. To assemble, you could use glue and wait for it all to dry, but for this project, I opted to use the trusty nail gun (small brads) to tack the entire sign together.

Pirate Boot Sign - 4.jpg

Back at the computer, design your lettering using various fonts (in this case I used "Old English") and printed it out to size on 4, 8.5"x11" sheets taped together.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 2: How to Transfer the Lettering from Paper to Wood

There are many techniques for transferring your printed lettering onto the wood board. You could cut out each letter and trace the holes, you could use a projector, etc., etc. With only 30 days until Halloween, and an entire pole assembly left (plus other props to fabricate), I needed the trusty old method - Spray Paint!

If you've never done this - it's almost too simple to explain:

Spray paint the back of the paper with a liberal coat of matte black spray paint and let dry.

Pirate Boot Sign - 5.jpg

Viola! You now have created Halloween Carbon Transfer Paper! Reposition the paper right where you want it on the board and use thumb tacks to tack it down and ensure it doesn't move.

Pirate Boot Sign - 6.jpg

Now, take an old ball point pen and start tracing the outlines of the letters. The black paint will rub off onto the board, and there you have it - instant letter transfer.

Pirate Boot Sign - 7.jpg

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part 3: Paint the Sign

Once you have your lines down, it's a matter of painting the sign with acrylic craft paints. A sharpie marker works great for creating outlines and crafting smaller details.

Pirate Boot Sign - 8.jpg

Pirate Boot Sign - 9.jpg

View attachment 259751

Pirate Boot Sign - 13.jpg

I painted the frame with gray/brown acrylic and installed eye bolts at the top.

Coming up next - the sign pole!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Yeah, very nice job on the paint, don't think the average person can paint that well (myself included!)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Part 3: Paint the Sign

Once you have your lines down, it's a matter of painting the sign with acrylic craft paints. A sharpie marker works great for creating outlines and crafting smaller details.

View attachment 259747

View attachment 259748

View attachment 259751

View attachment 259756

I painted the frame with gray/brown acrylic and installed eye bolts at the top.

Coming up next - the sign pole!
Did you make more than one of these? I noticed the wood is different in the last 2 pics.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the compliment J-Man! It was a really fun project! This is the first time I've built a sign, am thinking of keeping the pole as a standard Halloween feature and swapping the sign every year.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now - the fun part!

The pole was fashioned out of 8' PVC pipe, chain, a plywood scroll design, bed post top (goodwill), and ping pong ball ends (same package as used for the mermaid teeth).

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Beautiful! I'd be tempted to leave it up all year! :)
Lizzyborden & Madame Leota -

This really was a fun addition to the whole design this year. I think the pole will become a permanent installation for Halloween (maybe Christmas as well) for year's to come. With a new sign each time -

One thing to note about the PVC pole - Since I opted to use real wood for the sign (not foam), the weight of the sign was literally starting to bend the pole. I had another nautical block (other two are on the cannon) and fastened it to the railing on the stairs with rope and chain to pull it back some.

Pirate Boot Sign 24.jpg

House 9.jpg

The lanterns (battery powered) are zip tied to the cross piece now as well... There - all done! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts