Halloween Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hamm it looks great! How many more you going to do?
I only planed to do the one. I'm working on flicker lanterns now, Then fence. Everybody is working so fast. I know I'll be able to finish the lanterns and fence, but I don't know about Worlds smallest Haunted House.

·
Imperial Hybrid (7)
706 Posts
I only planed to do the one. I'm working on flicker lanterns now, Then fence. Everybody is working so fast. I know I'll be able to finish the lanterns and fence, but I don't know about Worlds smallest Haunted House.
Honey Ham. You did such an excellent job. It looks booooooteful.
You dodged raindrops, worked, and nurmeous other interuptions and it only took you 2 weekends. Actually very little hours total.....
I think maybe a ground breaker is in order. That is if you don't start on he gravediggers shack ( world smallest aka Skull and bones ) .....but a little mini half coffin......wouldn't take much time??????
But congradulation ....on this first coffin build. You did excellent !
Still got all your fing -gars.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The wife and I knocked this one out on Saturday. It's only a half-coffin, but we wanted one rising out of the ground.

We used old basement shelving we had pulled down and were going to toss. Fortunately, the wife talked me into keeping it. Good thing, too, since the coffin didn't cost us a thing.

We'll probably try the full sized coffin next time...
Woa I love the idea of the cross in the center!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hamm your coffin turned out really good. I should have my husband make one of those. Would a full size man fit in that? ;)

·
Pumpkin w/ BIG stem
895 Posts
yea...me and hamm used the same plans and im 6' and i have room to move around

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was getting ready to start cutting some plywood coffins from my leftovers from my house remodel until I stumbled upon this thread. These coffins are more of the look I was wanting and everyone's turned out great!

I was wondering though if you guys pre-drilled the fence panels prior to using the drywall screws? The panels are pine and generally not totally dry when you get them so the I'd imagine the wood is pretty soft but was curious if anyone pre-drilled?

Also if I can find a short enough spiral shank nail to fit one of my nail guns I think I might use the nail gun for quicker assembly. True the screw has better holding power but these things aren't going to be seeing daily use or anything so again I was wondering if anyone had any major reservations about speeding up the process by using a nailgun with a spiral shank nail?

·
demonic animatronic
810 Posts
when i did mine i used a brad nailer to hold it together while assembling ( alot better than trying to grow 2 more hands) then went back and drilled pilot holes and used screws

·
Pumpkin w/ BIG stem
895 Posts
the wood was soft enough just to screw them right in

·
Registered
537 Posts
No need to pre-drill. I Just used screws.

Project takes no time at all, and I'm not that great with power tools so the fact that you have a nail gun and know what a spiral shank nail is ( I have no clue) you should do just fine.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Two more hands would have been nice.
No pre-drilling, had a little splitting, But air nailer is next on My list.
I think shanks would be a little over kill. Screws worked fine

·
Registered
177 Posts
I finally managed to finish the two fence picket coffins I decided to build. Between family events and kids school I thought I would never find time to get them done, but finally they are done! I based my coffins off the plans from scareFX as were indicated by the OP. I also decided to use 1x3 furring strips for the bracing similar to Voodoo Willy. I just wasn't too crazy about the prospect of ripping down several fence boards. So I went the lazier route and bought the furring 1x3's. I think the coffins turned out pretty good despite some flaws (nothing major). I'd like to pass along some things I ran into during my build ...

For me the cut list from scareFX wasn't totally accurate but more of a guide especially when it came to bracing. Many of the braces had to be cut and recut to fit properly (the 18", 23", 11.5" especially). Take your time and lay out your pieces in an organized fashion. It will make your life a whole lot easier.

When cutting the boards to create the toe pincher effect make sure you don't mix up the various different cut pieces. Unless you are using a homemade jig to make the angled cuts on the fence board each set of 2 you cut will be slightly different. Be sure to use each set for one side (top & bottom) and don't mix match with the other cut sets, otherwise your lid will be slightly different than the bottom (like my first coffin).

Deck or drywall screws work fine but after the first two screws split the wood I decided to pre-drill everything. Most of the attachments are made very close to the edge of the wood which very often leads to splits. I highly recommend pre-drilling especially if you opt to use pine furring strips for bracing which split very easily unless pre-drilled.

If after you purchase your fence pickets your aren't able to work on the project right away I would highly recommend placing the materials indoors on a flat surface, especially if you are in a humid climate like me. Otherwise don't be suprised if the next morning you see many of your boards beginning to warp and twist all over the place. It is even worse to come upon this sight after you've made all your cuts and well ... it wasn't a pretty sight!

I didn't have a helper but considering I have a bad back (several herniated discs) life would have been a heck of a lot easier had I someone helped me out. Oh, if you have some large clamps, dig them out out of the junky tool shed. The clamps are well worth the 15 minutes of searching for them.

There are other things I forgot to mention but they elude me at the moment ...

If I can find time to snap some pictures I will but until then good luck on your fence picket coffin build! And remember if you if make some small mistakes here and there no one will probably know anyhow, plus it adds character to the coffin. Have fun!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll need to try curffing the side boards I don't like the weak joint. Curffing the boards in cutting lines 1/2 way and just bending the boards when you wet them.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts