Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a daily vlog last month to capture my 2016 haunt build. I call it "Bleach Bones."

This year is going to be my first walk-thru haunt and I'm building everything from the ground up. Today I show what ultimately turned out to be my failure in using a tool to create a wood grain effect on my church pew prop.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts

The second try did turn out better but looked kind of odd with the colors reversed. :) On the first attempt was there enough texture left by the tool that you could have drybrushed a darker color over it to bring out the detail?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I always wondered if those wood grain tools really worked- I guess you'd really have to press that sucker down to get the middle part to contact the foam. Looks like you were doing that though- think you got a defective tool?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I love the video!
Wood graining just takes practice. Also, make sure the top coat is more of a "glaze" rather than full strength paint. I thined my top coat with some water and it worked great.

These boards are pink extruded foam.

Eric

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, how did you embed that video?! And I've since learned, as Wolfbeard below notes, to use a glaze as the top coat. Interestingly, the tool did leave a grain pattern behind that I perhaps could have dry brushed it. Should I fail again in the future, I may try that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used one a few years ago without problem, so obviously my technique was wrong...as Wolfbeard below explains. And as his example shows, in the hands of someone that knows what they're doing, they can work quite well!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dude. Duuuuude! That looks awesome! Terra (ScaryLadyVideos) says to use a dark color as the top coat, and a light color as the base. Is that what you did too?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yes. I used the lighter color brown as the base coat, regular latex paint. The darker color was a thinned paint glaze (latex paint mixed with water). That was actually my first attempt at woodgrain, but I learned a lot in advance from the great people on this forum.

Eric

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wolfbeard,

I went back and looked at a video I had made 2 years ago where I first attempted this technique. And yep, I also used glaze and did the lighter color base coat. Apparently time and Alzheimers erased all memory of that when I attempted it this time. Well, there's always next time... :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I saw this tool and couldn't wait to get one so I ordered one online. I tried so many times to get the hang of it and just couldn't seem to get the results I wanted. I ended up doing it by hand, using a spline tool to make the wood grain and a pen cap to dig in nail holes.

11885097_10153616061764662_4774366287315396750_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I don't have any pictures right now but I use a wire brush with random bristles removed to do wood grain. it kind of carves it into the surface. i have used it on PVC pipe, plastics, and non grainy wood to give it a gnarly grain. I am guessing it would work in foam.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts