Halloween Forum banner

Woman in Black II

3K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  oaklawn Crematory 
#1 ·
The trailer looks super scary. That clip with the nurse in the hospital ward made me jump even though I knew it was coming. So anybody else looking forward to it? Think it will be all jump scares and short on plot since they are no longer tied to the book?

#4 ·
I've kind of been avoiding the first one because I can't get my head around Daniel Radcliffe playing anyone but Harry Potter(having seen all of those movies with my daughter as they came out). Now I will have to buck up and do it, I've got it on Netflix, no excuses.

#6 ·
I'll wait for the DVD, too... and watch it in broad daylight... with a friend. ;)

I watched the first one on DVD twice- on two different TVs. Just a small difference in brightness made a world of difference. It was the difference between "What's down that really dark hallway?" and "Oh! THAT's down that really dark hallway!"

eta: If y'all ever get a chance to see the BBC production from the 90's, (?) it's well worth watching. Unlike the movie, it is faithful to the book and the last scenes scared the heck out of me.

#9 ·
I'm confused? Years ago at Timber Lake Playhouse here just outside of town, they presented a play "The Lady In Black". The manager of that playhouse said he had written it. It was very well presented , they used the entire theater too!
Good lighting, mis-direction,sudden appearances of actors popping up in the middle of the audience. As I remember it , it was really sort of a simple sort of ghost story ?

#12 ·
As I remember it , it was really sort of a simple sort of ghost story ?
Yes, the book is actually rather slim and the story fairly simple. The movie added quite a few additional plot lines and characters. Basically, they built a whole new movie on the book's framework.

BTW- I don't know if the same ad is running in all markets at all hours, but I thought the TV ad is a little too scary for family hour viewing.

#10 ·
I really liked the first one. I thought I would have trouble with Radcliffe too, but he did in my opinion a great job of pulling it off. I'm looking forward to the second one. I hope it's not like a lot of sequels where they bomb. and I don't go to the theater a lot, so I am for this one.

#18 ·
I like what they did with the first movie. They even added a sort-of "happy end" that the book did not. The book did have a good framework, but it left a lot of questions unanswered and pretty much just stuck to: guy-goes-to-haunted-house, ghost-scares-guy, guy-runs-away, ghost-follows-him-home.

#19 ·
I saw the first one and I really disliked the jump scares, it feels cheap and easy to me, and they overused them. But the atmosphere was great and I like the story altogether. What I don't get about the sequel, and this is based on just seeing the previews on TV, is...why on earth are they bringing a whole BUNCH of children into Eel Marsh House? It was widely known in the first movie that the Woman in Black goes after children so...they....brought a whole LOAD of them into the house this time? Just...sticking them right under her veiled nose. What the what? Why?

#20 ·
I liked the first one. It wasn't the best movie ever made, but good. I am a huge Harry Potter fan, and, at first, Daniel in the movie made me think of HP, but he did a good job and pulled off the role as the character. I just had to get into the movie first and the HP thoughts faded a bit. There were a ton of jump scares in the first one. I startle VERY easily, so the jump scares got me every time, lol. Every single time. I am sure I will watch the second one, but I will probably wait and rent it. Sequels have a tendency to be not as good as the originals. I read that the book that was written to go with this movie, Angel of Death, by a different author than the original novel, wasn't all that great...though I haven't read the book, myself, so who knows.
Interesting Note: Two more Harry Potter actors are in this movie, as well. The actress who played Narcissa Malfoy and the actor who played James Potter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.