Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Defender of Blucky Honor
1,051 Posts
Looks great. Thanks for posting the how to. I will use your techniques to make my Christmas decoration of a full sized Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,582 Posts
I love him! With the right lighting and maybe a few bodyparts laying about people can see hes a meanie. (and not a cuddle monster in day shots) :3

Thanks to you I know what kind of hair I need because I wanted to shave the face down too on one I want to build and thought my cheapy fabric wouldnt work out. Now I know what its called and I can look for it online. :)

Im also inspired by your construction of this guy, and wondered what you used to cut the wood? A jigsaw or circular saw? Maybe something else? I dont have these tools and am looking into something I wont potentially cut my hand off with but get some nice curves in the wood for prop building.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,721 Posts
Absolutely amazing prop!

(I'm merging your crossposted thread from the props section... just wanted to keep it all together! I edited the prop post that got merged to remove the link since it is now all together too...)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Im also inspired by your construction of this guy, and wondered what you used to cut the wood? A jigsaw or circular saw? Maybe something else? I dont have these tools and am looking into something I wont potentially cut my hand off with but get some nice curves in the wood for prop building.
Thanks to everyone for the kind words, I really appreciate it!

Best tool for this type of work and many others is a simple hand held power jigsaw. Try to find one with variable speed, it makes it much easier to control as you can cut more slowly. Very safe saw, don't have to worry about lopping off digits ;)
I used a handsaw to cut the larger blocks, but the jigsaw would do those as well. That and a cheap power drill and you are good to go for most projects.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,582 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the kind words, I really appreciate it!

Best tool for this type of work and many others is a simple hand held power jigsaw. Try to find one with variable speed, it makes it much easier to control as you can cut more slowly. Very safe saw, don't have to worry about lopping off digits ;)
I used a handsaw to cut the larger blocks, but the jigsaw would do those as well. That and a cheap power drill and you are good to go for most projects.
Thanks Frosty! /does a happy dance

·
Ghouls Rule
2,582 Posts
arrg...hmmm.. what was the supplier of the fabric you bought? All I can find online is "fun fur" type faux furs. :( I may have looked at some with the underhairs features but the listings never mentioned it.

Any suggestions for the fur thats shavable?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Sorry, can't really help with that one.

I bought the piece I used out of a bin mixed with all kinds of other fabric at a mill end store. They just sell ends of rolls, scraps and stuff, so no information on the material itself. I did see the same material at a fabric store and it was being sold in bedding sizes, I presume for a bed covering, but it was stupid expensive!

The stuff I used had two distinct layers. An underfur, and an outer fur and it was so dense, you could not see the backing no matter how hard you folded it. I wish I could tell you more. I looked for a couple years before I stumbled on the stuff.

I don't suppose it would matter too much if you had cheaper material. The key is to clip it down in the proper areas. Only problem with cheap stuff is that when you bend it over tight curves , like the legs, the backing might show through. Kinda ruins the effect.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, I'm not much of a fabric guy. Perhaps someone here has more info, hopefully they'll post.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,582 Posts
I don't suppose it would matter too much if you had cheaper material. The key is to clip it down in the proper areas. Only problem with cheap stuff is that when you bend it over tight curves , like the legs, the backing might show through. Kinda ruins the effect.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, I'm not much of a fabric guy. Perhaps someone here has more info, hopefully they'll post.

Maybe if I build an underlayer and paint it the color of the fur? If its the fabric still showing and painting the base figure doesnt fix the problem maybe spray painting the backside will help?

I havent remotely begun, so Ill be sure to make note of that. Thanks for the tips! :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Nice. Really a good job on that. How will it fare in the weather?
I figure he should be OK. It won't hurt the fur, probably make it more realistic actually, and the body is made of outdoor grade plywood and styrofoam so no problem there either. I only put my props out for the big day anyway, so whatever happens it won't be exposed for long. I pretty much start taking things apart the next day, so if there was bad weather I would start with the wolf and at least remove the fur so things could dry out.

Kittyvibe:
I don't really know if painting would do the trick. I looked around for a couple years before I found the fur and it was only then that I started the project. I think the right fur is the real key to this type of prop, and it would suck to do all the prep work only to be disappointed with the result. If you keep looking, I'm sure you'll find it online somewhere. I just built it last year and the fur was available in the local fabric store, albeit as a specialty item, and I don't live in a big city.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts