Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my sister (pictured) and I went to Magnolia Cemetery in down town Charleston and took pictures of tombstones. I've started the Harrington stone since I had sold most of my personal builds when I moved. Since this is a pretty big stone and has various layers and ornate designs on its sides. Here's some pics of how it's going so far;
The foam is 2" thick, and I cut 2 sections out to make it 4" thick, I'm making it to scale. This is what i have so far. The stone itself stands 46" tall, the base measure 7" and 5" tall. Each base is built with scrap foam for inside, and 2 one inch pieces for top and bottom.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
You've already made so much progress! You really work fast! Are you using the dremel to carve around the cross? Wow. Looks so good!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the Dremel is my most universally used tool at this point, with tons of different bits to choose from. After carving the center down, I sand it with a 220 grit gently to take down the rough patches, but still leave enough to mimic bumpy old stone. The wide format printer has come in very handy with the large stones. I've printed all my stencils out of the name, date and epitaph on 13x19 paper so it'll be an easy transfer onto this large surface.

·
Disney Inspired
840 Posts
Last week my sister (pictured) and I went to Magnolia Cemetery in down town Charleston and took pictures of tombstones. I've started the Harrington stone since I had sold most of my personal builds when I moved. Since this is a pretty big stone and has various layers and ornate designs on its sides. Here's some pics of how it's going so far;
The foam is 2" thick, and I cut 2 sections out to make it 4" thick, I'm making it to scale. This is what i have so far. The stone itself stands 46" tall, the base measure 7" and 5" tall. Each base is built with scrap foam for inside, and 2 one inch pieces for top and bottom.

View attachment 232208
View attachment 232209
View attachment 232210
View attachment 232211
View attachment 232212
This looks great! Did you create a jig to do the recess around the cross?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rough drew the cross centered on the photo and dremeled it out. Nothing fancy at all. I couldn't proceed any further with my first layer down until I drew out the name. Which is a level lower than the foundation around the cross. I didn't have much time today, all I could do was this.
image.jpg
Again, it's all Dremel carving with 2 diff bits. Def more tmrw

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also have the added complication of working with the 4' x 8'' x 2" sections that are scored every 16". What I found out the hard way is, the 2' x 8' sections are limited to the north and because of building codes, cannot be obtained down here unless I purchase a pallet of 48. These I'm working with, my husbands insulation company had 30 in overstock that they sold to me. After their gone, the next closest place I can get these is Columbia SC, over 2 hrs away. I'd rather my 2' sections that aren't scored. So I have to go back and backfill and remold areas that become deformed from the scoring. Plus fill in the scoring everywhere else. A lot more work than need be

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Your work looks very impressive!
Me being .. me, I would have glued a piece of 1/4 inch plywood in the center of the foam pieces, because I don't trust people enough to begin to think some idiot wouldn't punch it and totally destroy my efforts.
I have seen actual tombstones snapped in half be vandals, but they were Very old, tall, thin pieces of marble, at the entrance to the old, downtown Tallahassee, Florida grave yard.
My "Ex" was on the repair crew for the broken stones.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What Dremel bit do you use?
For the carving out of the levels, and also hollowing out letters, I use the "multiple purpose cutting bit". It looks like a regular drill bit. For smaller, more detailed wording or images. I also use various size steel engraving bits to shape and engrave. For the outlining of words and designs, I use the Tungsten carbide cutter. I sand with various bits, but those are probably my most used tools.

Hey Gym,
I guess I've been luck and not had anyone try and destroy my display. This stuff is pretty strong, even at 2", let alone 4" thick. Yeah the plywood would have added that extra strength if need be. But a punch would dent it pretty good, I think a Kung fu kick would be the death of the stone! Lol! There's a cemetery like that off rt 33 in west Windsor nj that's just hammered! It's almost every tall stone is either toppled over and broken or standing with half of it left. The toppled ones look to have fallen due to soft ground. Maybe kids destroyed the others. It's so sad though....idk why ppl are so disrespectful

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Half is shaved down, as you see it has revealed a prominent heavier score line. So now, I'll be going back and filling it in, then sand back down. I'm giving the dremel a break and starting the 2 side designs. I've decided to cut the preshaped ones off and build new ones instead. image.jpg image.jpg

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Sometimes pics from my iPhone or iPad post sideways no idea why??

This looks awesome CH, no doubt it will be beautiful! Really enjoying the progress pics!

·
Registered
606 Posts
You must have a really steady hand, CH. The first stone I ever made this past September, I had a HUGE R.I.P to dremel out. The dremel got away from me and I went out of the lines. No way I could carve out those fine Harrington letters! Beautiful work!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks weeping! And thank you everyone else on the wonderful compliments. If you use the plunge on the dremel, it's quite a bit easier to handle. It's hard to hold steady without it. With the weight and the speed, I can see how it'd be like a wild animal! I normally do smaller stones and I'd be done within an hour or so. This one is a doozy!!! Between the filling of score lines, the side pieces, and that intricate lettering. I'm gonna be at this a while! But, everyday I'll post progress pics

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,605 Posts
Really striking! Incredible attention to detail and realism. Love this! If I lived closer I'd commission you to do a large scale stone for our haunt.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you so much! Well, I've shipped larger stones before. Normally it'll ship in 2 pieces. The base will be in a box, and the stone would have 2 pieces of cardboard on either side. Then I bubble wrap and shrink wrap. They always seem to arrive in perfect condition. Way to go FedEx! But yeah, keep that in mind, I can def make one and ship it to you

1 - 20 of 39 Posts