Halloween Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some videos of special effects, illusions, and animatronics from my recent visit to Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade at Universal Studios and Universal Studios Islands of Adventure. Unfortunately my wife wouldn't let me attend Universal's Halloween Horror nights. :-( But had a great time nonetheless.

@DaveInTheGrave, I can confirm the frozen hand and other shadow scenes on the translucent windows of the doors of the Hogwart's Express train are rear projections. The cabins are only on one side of the train and I saw the video projectors:

Sorry one of the videos is portrait mode--the one where you can see the "frozen" rear projected hand. Couldn't figure out how to rotate it appropriately on YouTube. Look for the frozen hand at around 1 min 35 seconds on. You can see my own hand in there--not sure why I touched it:

The Platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross Station in the Diagon Alley portion of Universal Studios is absolutely a Pepper's Ghost effect. Not sure I completely understand the sight lines. But I believe the brightly lit brick wall to the very left of the scene is the image being lifted by the pane of glass (edges barely disguised as a luggage cart). And can also confirm only observers from a certain angle at the entrance to the scene see the illusion of others stepping through a wall. You don't see the illusion itself as you pass through what seems to be a wall from the POV of others. It's also worth noting that signage, as you enter the scene room, seems to block the brightly illuminated brick wall to the left.

More videos to follow.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More videos

This projection effect of spiders crawling across a newspapered window in Knockturn Alley looks much cooler in person. I wonder if it's actual thin newsprint on the window as a projection surface or if the newspaper is part of the rear projection:

Rear projection (I think) of rats doing silly things in a cage at the Menagerie store. You can see the projection on all four sides of the cage (which hangs from the ceiling in the center of the store):

Peacock projection on dress in a clothing shop:

Animated carriage on pathway as you exit Hogwart's Express into Hogsmeade:

Animated owls in the rafters of a building in Hogsmeade:

Animated Hermoine's Cat in Menagerie shop:

Animated monster spell book in shop (don't recall where):

1 - 2 of 2 Posts