Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just built this today with the help of my brother-in-law. It disassembles into 4 pieces for storage. Our stirring cauldron witch will go under hear. We're going to paint it (to make it look old and worn) and we'll put up some book shelves and have a spell book for the witch.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Love it -- but it's naked!!!

The book shelves are a great idea. I'd put more stuff on the shelves. Skulls, lanterns, jars, etc. Maybe some burlap or creepy clothe on the sides.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, that's the idea. There will be potions and bottles of the stuff on the shelves. There will be a cage hanging from the ceiling with "something" in it. For now that stuff will have to wait. I have it broken down into its pieces until we get a little closer to Halloween. No need to start killing the grass prematurely! :)

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
That is awesome!! Can't wait to see pics of it ready for the big night.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Looks great! Ever wonder what the neighbors are thinking as you are building a ramshackeled prop in the front yard? Mine would come over and try to tell me how to get straighter cuts no matter how many times I tried to tell him it is supposed to look like that...LOL!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I was up on the ladder installing the roof pieces, folks that were walking or driving by were asking me if I was working on Halloween. You see, I already have a reputation from last year, so people knew I had to be doing Halloween stuff.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That is awesome! And I must confess, my wife and I had also planned to build something VERY similar for our witch this year!! Sometimes it amazes me how haunters come up with similar ideas at the same time without ever having any contact with each other!

Got any "in-progress" pics or anything that shows how it comes apart? We've got storage issues already so whatever we come up with will need to be pretty modular.

Can't wait to see your finished scene!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got any "in-progress" pics or anything that shows how it comes apart? We've got storage issues already so whatever we come up with will need to be pretty modular.
You can see the frame in this picture below. This is how we disassembled the shed/shack: Basically the roof is attached to the back via (4) 3/8" x 4" bolts, 2 on each side. We remove those bolts first and then slowly let the back down on its... er... back. Then we tilt the roof and front posts towards the back so that the back edge of the roof is now resting on the ground. Then we remove the front posts by removing (4) 3/8" x 6" bolts (2 from each post). Now we can carry the roof piece to the back yard and lead up against our real shed. Then we carry the back piece and lead it against the roof piece. Then we carry the 2 posts. This image is the frame before we had tightened all the bolts and before we put the fence panels on. The support boards on the back were just temporary until the bolts are tightened.

Here's my brother-in-law working on the back:

We probably could have built the back into 2 modular pieces and the roof into 2 more modular pieces. They would then be bolted together. That's probably what I should have done, but oh well!

·
Registered
196 Posts
So far it's looking real good. When everything is put together I know this will come out great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts