Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is pretty much my first year taking on any full on project. Before I would make my childrens halloween bags or wreath for the front porch, stuff like that.

This year I have decided to go all out and try to take on a full challenge ( and theme ) onto myself. My street is full of trick or treaters and everyone tends to put out a pumpkin or two, but this year I really want my street to have something to talk about and maybe raise the bar a little in hopes that next year there might be more ppl out there getting into the spirit of things. That's my major goal anyways. LOL not like I think I'm any pro, just a really dedicated mom with a lot of free time on her hands once the kiddies are in bed.

Anyways this is my first go round, so any help/tips/ideas you might have on either saving time/money or giving me some cool ideas to make this a really wow factor would be so great. I'm also feeling a little pride of myself so I've just been dying to show off my stuff :D

My front porch is going to be a Witches coven, or witches lair theme.
I intend to have a good number of paper mache out there xD Already got started on some pumpkins, inspired by what I've found here on this forum (thanks ghosttown/&wife) and from stollween stuff, currently making a couple pair of witches shoes, just started making a couple witches brooms and collecting jars for all the special "ingredients" that might be found in a witchs lair. I've also started making a cauldron, cause hey lets agree here, no witches lair is complete without a cauldron with a lot of littered body remains laying around.

Here is a before pic of the shoes and then an after. I'm not done shaping the shoes yet but it was hard to see what I needed to fix up on the shoes until I painted them a more flat colour.

Sry, no pics of the bones yet, still trying to make a skull and kinda having a tricky time making bones I feel are believable. I found a how-to on skeleton hand making on this forum that I'm going to give a try.

So I got going on:
Cauldron/cooking over a heat source
Jars/potions
shoes/ ( soon to have hats)
brooms
bones/remains

If I can find a faux black cat for my porch from here to halloween that will be picked up. But besides those things what else do you think you might find in a witches Lair? OH, no time to work on a witch this year, so the witch won't be home :(

Again any tips or ideas would be fantastic :D

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,492 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,492 Posts
For very little money/time/effort, you could make a respectable witch to be the centerpiece of your scene. A simple pvc frame, styrofoam wig head, cheap mask and hands and a costume or even black fabric for a dress and you'll have as nice witch figure

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the positive feedback all :D I could def get behind the witch idea. I'll check out what I got and see what I can get :D. Thanks for the photo tut!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I kinda think you really need to have a witch. whether you buy a cheap one or make one. I can vouch that the pvc prop is easy and inexpensive. I've made several myself and they can be as elaborate or simple as you want to make it. I went pretty darn simple, pvc T joints, and a hack saw powered by my elbows and shoulders. I don't have any fancy saws or anything and managed to make a werewolf last year , just slapped a mask/ hands and clothes on him. Same could be done with a witch like jduddya said. I just think without the actual witch you would feel your set up was incomplete. Just my honest opinion. I love your candle jack and the shoes are awesome!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree you need a witch. What about you or someone you know dressing up as a witch and sitting on your porch? I think you could find something out there pretty cheap to purchase if you look. Maybe someone you know has an old witch costume from previous years? You could stuff it and sit it in a chair on the porch too. Just a couple of ideas.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Excellent work slave! (Do you mean "Slave to halloween"? ha!) I'm interested in creating my 1st prop and this thread is making it seem VERY DOABLE for a complete newb in the building arena! Thanks, Jdub! You never know how many people you are helping who are hiding in the shadows......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I have decided to take all of you guys advice and make a mob for my yard, except it won't be a witch but a scarecrow xD I'm having a party now for Oct 26 and I'm turning my backyard into a pumpkin patch for the children to go and play and adopt their own pumpkin to carve. Anyways So I'll be making a pumpkin head for the scarecrows face, I was going to go creepy but changed my mind, it's really for the children and not for myself ( the backyard anyways:p) So it will be a nice happy one!

Yes my name means Slave to art, Halloween also being my most artistic style xD

So I have some progress pics so far to share with ya'll
Okay first one is my cauldron finished :D Pretty proud of that because the rope for the handles is actually really thin yarn I had laying around wrapped on it self many times then painted to look like rope :p Oh, I made the fire pit for under it, just don't have a pic of it yet painted and finished :/
Next pic is 2 of my finished pumpkins, but the orange one wasn't to my satisfaction for paint job so it's back to "almost done"
3rd pic is a zombie survival kit I made from scratch for one of my sons friends bday gift. Kids loved it!!!
4th is my eldest son holding an almost finished skull
5th is a pic of one of my display food trays for the party and one of my witches shoes complete :D So very proud of it, the pic does not do the colouring justice I'm afraid, but they are so freaking pretty!
6th is the witches hat I made from scratch all dressed up and ready for my porch
7 and 8 are tester jars/bottles I'm working on and started collecting pinata candies because I'm making 2 ghost pinatas for the party
9 is lanterns I'm making for the front yard, sry no pics of lights on yet >.<
Tonz more props/crafts finished and in the making but no photos yet :)
IMG_20130903_210817.jpg
IMG_20130903_014421.jpg IMG_20130905_205103.jpg IMG_20130917_170312.jpg IMG_20130919_231727.jpg IMG_20130919_212136.jpg IMG_20130921_120527.jpg IMG_20130921_113849.jpg IMG_20130911_195424.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guys! I'm getting pretty excited about the party this weekend. I'll be sure to post pics of the final outcome and give yous some feedback on the things that i was proud of and not so proud of xD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts