Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm throwing my first halloween party this year and was wondering if anyone had any yummy punch recipes. This is an adult themed party so recipes with alcohol are warranted. :D

Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hi Boo Baby!

SPIDER CIDER PUNCH
You will need:
1 quart bottle sparkling apple cider
1 quart bottle cranberry juice cocktail
1 liter bottle ginger ale
2 cups pineapple juice
750ml of Vodka or Rum (your preference)
Plastic spiders

Mix ingredients together in a punch bowl. Garnish with spiders; Serves about 20.

I have a few more posted in my blog here on forum, you can check it out here under "BEWITCHING BEVERAGES"....Have fun and a Happy Halloween!

http://
www.halloweenforum.com/blogs/recent-entries/index5.html

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hi Boo Baby!

SPIDER CIDER PUNCH
You will need:
1 quart bottle sparkling apple cider
1 quart bottle cranberry juice cocktail
1 liter bottle ginger ale
2 cups pineapple juice
750ml of Vodka or Rum (your preference)
Plastic spiders

Mix ingredients together in a punch bowl. Garnish with spiders; Serves about 20.

I have a few more posted in my blog here on forum, you can check it out here under "BEWITCHING BEVERAGES"....Have fun and a Happy Halloween!

http://
www.halloweenforum.com/blogs/recent-entries/index5.html

this sounds REALLY good!!!

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
See, dry ice scares me. I guess I'm afraid I'll use it wrong, or something!! Like, if it's in the punch bowl, how do you make sure no one gets a piece of it in their drink??

I love the effect, but just not very up on the safety of using it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've never had an issue. I put a big enough chunk of it in that it can't be scooped up in the punch ladle. When the chunk gets smaller, it has stopped fogging enough so people can see it and avoid it.

I agree, it's not a problem. If you are still nervous about it you can do this:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Im like BevAnn Im kind of afraid of it too plus Im gonna have a bunch of kids, I plan to use the 'double boiler' method like the pic Halloweenie1 posted.

·
crossfit zombie
7,563 Posts
mountain dew surprise
2 -2liters mt dew
1 liter of gingerale
2 pks of lime koolaide
1 can chunked pineapples(let chunks soak in koolaide and alchol the night before)
1 liter grain(everclear)
8oz lime vodka
mix -makes around 2 gals of potant green yum very smooth not strong tasting.
I am also making hurricanes and bahma mamas.

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, thanks for the recipes. They all sound amazing. Now the task of choosing one!! :confused:

Thank you :)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Halloweenie1, you take the best pics! You don't have to worry about the bowls cracking?
I actually did'nt take this one---but thanks anyway!--using a tempered glass, it should not be a problem. If you are unsure about your container, use plastic.
I have never had any problems :)

Here is how you do the Double Bowl Method:

Need two large bowls, one that will "nest" inside the other leaving some space around the edges for the fog to spill out. Take the larger of the two and pour warm water into it-filling it up about half way. Using tongs, carefully put your block of dry ice into the larger bowl. Wear gloves for extra protection. The dry ice will immediately start to fog up as it reacts with the water.

Place the smaller bowl inside the larger bowl on top of the dry ice. The fog will flow around the sides of the top bowl. As the fog begins to die down, add another half cup of warm water to the bottom bowl as needed.

TIPS:- The hotter the water, the more fog but the quicker dissipation of the dry ice.
-Remember at the end of the night when you're done with the dry ice, leave it outside and let it evaporate on its own. Don't put it down the sink or throw it in the trash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
dry ice alternative

I am also afraid of dry ice, a great and easy alternative is to purchase a color changing fog mist thing that you would use in a pond or water feature. Then, you have it to use year after year and there are no safety issues.

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have never worked with dry ice before so I went out to the place where I live to ask a few questions. This is unrelated to the punch but still a great idea. As Halloweenie said, the dry ice works better with hotter water so what the man suggested was to place a small crock pot inside a pumpkin (probably best way is to cut a lg hole in bottom of joL and place it on top of the crock pot) and use the crock pot to constantly heat the water and use the dry ice. You'd have a really cool misting joL. I thought that was a great idea!! I'm now on the lookout for a small used crock pot. :p

·
Registered
920 Posts
... place a small crock pot inside a pumpkin (probably best way is to cut a lg hole in bottom of joL and place it on top of the crock pot) and use the crock pot to constantly heat the water and use the dry ice. You'd have a really cool misting joL. I thought that was a great idea!! I'm now on the lookout for a small used crock pot. :p

Super cool idea! I will have to try this.
Thanks Boo Baby for posting....

I can understand why some might be wary of using dry ice. Maybe it would help to understand what dry ice is.

What is Dry Ice?

Dry ice is solid carbon dioxide (CO2). At room temperature, carbon dioxide sublimates at room temperature (and pressure), without at all going into the liquid phase (hence 'dry').

There is no danger in consuming a drink that was cooled down using dry ice, most of the carbon dioxide will just sublimate into the air. The 'worst' thing that can happen is, some of the carbon dioxide may dissolve in the drink. If this happens at high pressures, what you will get is a carbonated beverage (soda). However, the solubility of carbon dioxide in water is small at room conditions (that's why your coke bubbles when you open the can) and the 'taste' of carbon dioxide will not be noticeable at all. And you will find, dry ice will not water your punch down, like ice cubes will.

There are precautions to using it safely. For example, it is VERY cold so you don't want to handle it with bare hands (use gloves) because it can cause damage to skin and underlying tissue (similar to frostbite). Same reason as not to eat it either.
Dry ice can accumulate and build up pressure, so do not dispose into a sewer, garbage disposal, garbage chute, etc. Leave outside on sidewalk or porch and it will dissipate on it's own. Wherever or whomever you buy it from should be able to answer any questions or give you any info. you may need.....

When used properly, it's safe and fun to use for your Halloween parties and props. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts