Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I'm really looking forward to seeing her all come together. For this being the first year to make animated props you are killing it. Between the Pumpkin Watchman, your zombies and now this witch. The way you have been putting them all together looks like you have been making animated props for a long time.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
@Krusty, I get a lot of ideas here and on Youtube too and add my own twists or make some slight changes to the way motors are mounted. Such amazing talent here and on Youtube.

I get kids of all ages coming to my place so it's hard to find the right middle ground between too scary and too kiddish. So I just build the things that I like and if too scary or too kiddish well then they or their folks can build their own stuff and decorate their places and not come to my house. I don't do over the top blood and gore as it's not for me and right now none of my stuff has blood and gore at all, but when I was putting on a haunted house there were a few scenes that had blood and gore. Now I'd love to make some startle props, but pneumatics throw me for a loop. I'm still trying to figure out motorized props and all these folks on here that talk about servos and picaboos and such have me scratching my head.

Your stuff definitely shows your mechanical knowledge. Your TOTs are going to enjoy your decor.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The kids. My wife keeps telling me it's about the kids, and wants to know what the point of doing all of this is if nobody will come to our house. (We did have a few last year that thought it was 'too scary'.

I don't think my props are super scary, but we do get some young ToTs, like toddler age, and I can see where it would be a problem, so we compromised. We have a semi-circle driveway, so the main entrance will be more family friendly (Kind of a Harry Potter theme....which still gives me some license), the other side will be scarier. So people can go back out the non-creepy side, or they can go out the creepy side. Up to them.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
That’s perfect setup to keep most happy. Last year I picked up a small Zombie at the store on Halloween day for only $20. It moved it hips around and made a growling sound. Maybe 3 feet tall? It was hung in store by ring in his head so I hung him from a light just inside the front door. Pushing the try me button before opening door. A young girl asks me “why is your zombie hanging from ceiling?” Maybe 7 years old. Not even phased by him at all!!! Afterward I saw a similar zombie on internet and they advertised “bendable arms”. Hmmmm? I didn’t get instructions with him and didn’t think they would be pose able? Cheap imported thing.... didn’t want to break it! Sure enough they have wire inside and bent the right way he will drag himself across the floor. The arms were bent around his belly for packaging?
The bottom line is she was not intimidated by him at all.... rather looked at me like I was a Dummy!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
That’s perfect setup to keep most happy. Last year I picked up a small Zombie at the store on Halloween day for only $20. It moved it hips around and made a growling sound. Maybe 3 feet tall? It was hung in store by ring in his head so I hung him from a light just inside the front door. Pushing the try me button before opening door. A young girl asks me “why is your zombie hanging from ceiling?” Maybe 7 years old. Not even phased by him at all!!! Afterward I saw a similar zombie on internet and they advertised “bendable arms”. Hmmmm? I didn’t get instructions with him and didn’t think they would be pose able? Cheap imported thing.... didn’t want to break it! Sure enough they have wire inside and bent the right way he will drag himself across the floor. The arms were bent around his belly for packaging?
The bottom line is she was not intimidated by him at all.... rather looked at me like I was a Dummy!
LOL!! It's funny about who and what age people are that are either scared or not scared of things.

When I did my Haunted House about the first 1/3 of it was geared more towards the younger ones and the rest of it was geared more for the older kids and up. Everyone had the option to leave out a door at the end of the less spooky part and before the more terrifying. Anyone who went beyond that door did so at their own risk.

I was shocked at how many 6-8 yr olds breezed on through the more scarier area without nearly a flinch but their parents were jumping and screaming at every shadow. I was telling someone here on the forum about a dad who was built like a linebacker who literally shoved his young daughter at me, like here take her not me, as he jumped about 6 feet in the air and his feet were running before he came back down. I did nothing more than creep up to him slowly and in a normal voice said Boo. The next night I had some little 7 or 8 yr. old girl who just strode right on past a gorilla in a cage thumping his chest, rattling the bars, a wicked IT looking type clown who popped out with a severed head and big ol' knife, a headless hanging upside down by his knees trapeze artist who was still swinging and a person wearing a full body lycra/spandex body suit, that covered the head, face and hands, that looked like a cheetah/leopard following them through the entire scene and all she said was "yeah, yeah, whatever".

Couple of years ago I had a 13yr. old too terrified to come into my yard and all I had was my 3 witches, some tombstones, a really large spider, and a grim reaper. Last year I had a 2y old or so toddler coming up and loving all over my skellie dogs.

Bottom line, it's surprising as to who will think something is too scary and who will think it's too lame or kiddish.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Two years ago, a teenage girl peed her pants on my driveway. In fairness, my kid did a great job of jumping out of the bushes at just the right time, the fog was thick, sounds were creepy and he jumped out just as a light came back on. It was perfectly timed in every way. Luckily she just lived around the corner.

Now that your thread is thoroughly hijacked, what motor did you use in the cauldron to turn the stick?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
For anyone interested in the Childs Dementor hands...here is a picture beside my hand... these are big!
And my hands are bigger than average.
These are not small !!! I think they will work but just saying - don't be surprised IMG_2821.jpeg

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
For anyone interested in the Childs Dementor hands...here is a picture beside my hand... these are big.
And my hands are bigger than average with long fingers. (I'm 6'8" tall and 225 lbs)
These are not small !!! I think they will work but just saying - don't be surprised how big they are if you get them.
View attachment 719912
Holy Crikeys!! Did they maybe send you the adult size by mistake instead of the child's size? I don't think I want to meet the child that those are supposed to fit, never mind meeting their parents. They are pretty cool looking though.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Another motor to check out that will work as well as a wiper motor and are usually cheaper even new, are motors that move car seats back and forth or up and down. For my stirring witch that was the motor I used. If you need a motor that will stop at a certain position and re-set then the wiper motor with the parking feature is better for that. But if you don't care where it stops or starts and you need plenty of torque the seat motors are great.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My pig spit uses a monster guts wiper motor. I was wondering if a deer motor would suffice for the cauldron portion, but I think it might be underpowered to turn a long enough arm. The monsterguts kit is fantastic (and not so expensive when you add up all the parts you would need anyway)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
For anyone following this build or trying to build their own witch....here is some tech!
I tried to put gloves/hands on her and found that having her arms pivot right at the stick is no good!
It distorts the glove bad as the arm moves up and down when stirring and makes it impossible to curl her fingers around stick. I figured that the natural movement of a stick in my hand has the pivoting happening at the wrist not inside fingers. So I added a piece of aluminum flat bar from stick through palm of glove just at base of fingers to the arm pipe. I slotted the end of arm pipe to allow up and down movement and the slot is wide enough to allow just the right amount of twisting of wrist while stirring. Now I have realistic motion...

21 - 40 of 75 Posts