Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals! As some of you know I recently acquired an old cauldron. I'm planning on making a static witch prop to use with it. I've just begun sculpting for the first time. So heres a pic of my witch head after about 2 hours worth of work. Not done yet, but getting there. :)

Halloween Forum - HoflyLoster's Album: Random - Picture
http://www.halloweenforum.com/picture.php?albumid=1241&pictureid=16472
http://www.halloweenforum.com/picture.php?albumid=1241&pictureid=16471

Let me know what you think so far!
Thanks!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
It's looking really good. The only thing I'd point out is the shape of the nose. Not sure if you planned to leave it pointing out/up like it is now. I guess a more traditional look would be the down turned hook nose.

Just a thought. I know nothing about sculpting so don't take it as criticism, just an opinion. Looking forward to more pics of the progress.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Hey..way to go with your first sculpt HL!! for two hours work, thats pretty impressive.
What did you use as the armature? was it a foam skull or a wighead?

I would agree with jdubbya about her nose..the hooked beak look is more traditional.

for my two pennyworth, I would consider maybe making her ears a bit more pointy and give her bigger ear lobes..but again, thats not a crticism..just a personal point of view. That's the beauty of Halloween prop making, there's no right or wrong way to do it.:)

It'll be great to see the finished article.

Keep up the good work!!

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Nice work on the sculpt so far, and jdubbya could you please send me a pm of where you got that witch mask? I am getting ready to add a with to my display and i really like that mask there alot.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nice work on the sculpt so far, and jdubbya could you please send me a pm of where you got that witch mask? I am getting ready to add a with to my display and i really like that mask there alot.
That mask is called "Cackle" from Darkside Studios. They have some awesome masks! Here is a link to the mask. When the site opens, Click on "Broom Closet" in the column on the left of the page. That's where the witch masks are.

darksidestudio.com

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the comments. Unfortunatly the clkay I used ended up cracking and ruined the whole thing. I'm going to have to find some better clay and have at it again!!gggrrrrr...

·
Reaper Queen
8,628 Posts
oh, man, that sucks, she was so awesome, you have some skills there! What kind of clay did you use that she cracked? when I have skulpt I use Lauriebeasts method, celluclay, and paper clay over that, I do get some cracks but just fill it in, have never used oven drying clay. good luck with what ever clay you try!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I use DAS, it's an airdrying clay, very versatile and easy to work and I never have a problem with cracking.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The clay I used was an air drying crayola clay.
Where can I find celluclay and paperclay? Specialty stores?

·
Mourning Rose Manor
2,318 Posts
Hofly - I would definitely check out Lauriebeast's work and scan for some of her step by step processes. She really is absolutely talented and can help you with picking supplies etc. Plus she's an absolutely sensational gal!! I'm sure she will prove to be a wealth of information for you. Check out her Vampiress Morbidia and the Bride. To know that they started as styrofoam heads never ceases to amaze me.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Very awesome for a first time sculpt at two hours! I kind of like the nose going in the nontraditional up at the end instead of down.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts