Halloween Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Weird question, but I think that is becoming the norm for me. So, two of my static props (if I get my rear in gear) are little 4-5 foot creatures, wearing plague doctor masks and wearing robes and they'll be under a tree in my front yard with a "cauldron". One will be in the act of dropping a skull into the "cauldron" and the other will be looking in the direction the ToTs will be come from and holding a "staff". It's just an old branch I found out in some woods by our home. I'm putting a foam skull (jawless) on the top of the stick and was thinking of adding a couple of smaller ones to the staff using some jute twine.

Sorry for the setup, but here is the weird question. I thought about just hot gluing the jute twine to the top of the small skulls and may go that route because it seems easy.....but, think I saw a staff once where someone had made sort of a cradle out of rope/twine where a skull would just sit right down inside of it and they hung it from a staff. Does that make sense? If anyone knows what I'm talking about and knows how to do it or where I can see a picture of it, I'd sure be extremely grateful.

Have a great evening all and wonderful day tomorrow. :)

Oh...ETA -

Sorry for the additional question but the robes and hoods I am going to use on the creatures, it's a polyester type of material (dark black) that I found on a website fairly cheap. They are actually children's costumes. I was thinking of dying them grey and trying to weather them. Not sure if the polyester material will take a dye very well, but will give it a shot. I've looked for cheap material to just kind of throw over them....kind of like burlap or stuff that spooky clothe is made from. I wondered what most of you use to get that old worn weathered look on your props?

Again, thanks in advance!

·
black light queen
2,636 Posts
a good way to weather clothes is to bury them in the ground for a while ... getting the black back to grey is going to be difficult ...you can probably lightly spray some white paint to get them greyish ...

rips and tears are useful ... and sanding the robes to make them looked beat up also works

hopefully some of these ideas will work for you ...

amk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the idea! I actually looked for some spray dye for cloth at Michaels but all they had was "glittzy grey" and sparkly stuff. Haaaa. Not very spooky. I didn't even think about some really light highlighting with some spray paint. Going to give that shot. Will work on distressing with sandpaper too. Thank you so much for the tips!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts