Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worked today on the witch / cemetery shack for our yard haunt. We have been given tons of pallets. Hoping to save the facade somehow to use again next year. Decided to put the witches and cemetery scenes on the large lot next to our home,.,, that way we can do a long walking path out to it. Will be super creepy! And we are putting the pumpkin patch and less scary things up in front of the house, I'm also adding curtains so I can put a lamp/light to illuminate it from inside. The door opens too!

So, here's a little look at the shack as of this afternoon:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Looking good. I have a pretty big yard and I have always wanted to do something like this but without help to set it up, it is impossible. See...I have lots of room but nobody to help with build or set up. :(

DSCF2500.jpg

My right arm/shoulder are no good and there is no way I could do it without help. *sigh* I live vicariously through you guys and your cool witch haunts. I love anything witchy. :)

Marie

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Worked today on the witch / cemetery shack for our yard haunt. We have been given tons of pallets. Hoping to save the facade somehow to use again next year. Decided to put the witches and cemetery scenes on the large lot next to our home,.,, that way we can do a long walking path out to it. Will be super creepy! And we are putting the pumpkin patch and less scary things up in front of the house, I'm also adding curtains so I can put a lamp/light to illuminate it from inside. The door opens too!

So, here's a little look at the shack as of this afternoon:

The best way to save the facade is to throw some money at some proper structural lumber (at least 2x3's) and rebuild it after the end of the season like it has real walls. You can build in 4x8 panels so it can be disassembled each year and stored flat or stacked. Pallets are made of a very low grade pine lumber, so between that and the 42x48 inch size, they don't provide any lumber useful for structural support in the long term.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The best way to save the facade is to throw some money at some proper structural lumber (at least 2x3's) and rebuild it after the end of the season like it has real walls. You can build in 4x8 panels so it can be disassembled each year and stored flat or stacked. Pallets are made of a very low grade pine lumber, so between that and the 42x48 inch size, they don't provide any lumber useful for structural support in the long term.
Well, actually, most of these pallets were oak wood! It's very structurally sound. The only pine was the door. We get these from a mower shop. The large mowers require heavy duty pallets. So we got lucky.

The problem with storing is that we do not have storage... As in a barn, or a unit. We are working on it!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Looking forward to seeing it set up!

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Well, actually, most of these pallets were oak wood! It's very structurally sound. The only pine was the door. We get these from a mower shop. The large mowers require heavy duty pallets. So we got lucky.

The problem with storing is that we do not have storage... As in a barn, or a unit. We are working on it!
Rebuild your witch shack to function as a shed in the offseason! You have a new shed in the works and didn't even know it! Again, remaking it into panels makes it easy to knock down, move and reassemble. The trick is using hinges with removable pins to connect the panels, though you'll want the roof to bolt or screw down.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rebuild your witch shack to function as a shed in the offseason! You have a new shed in the works and didn't even know it! Again, remaking it into panels makes it easy to knock down, move and reassemble. The trick is using hinges with removable pins to connect the panels, though you'll want the roof to bolt or screw down.
Great suggestions! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts