Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to add lights to my big columns, but I am not sure how to do it so they are safe. I was thinking of getting a couple of outdoor lights like the kind that go on the side of a house or a garage - once I find some I like.

If I were installing them on the house would be easy but I need to power them. So if I mount them to the front of the column do I run an extension cord to it and hard wire it that way? That just seems to be wrong from a safety aspect. The inside of the column will stay dry I have used them for a few years now and I could put a junction box inside to make sure they stay dry but hard wiring it to an extension cord seems bad. It will be plugged into a gfi outlet.

Maybe I am over thinking it but I would rather be safe than sorry. So any tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Nothing wrong with wiring them to a chord. It is safe and especially so where your using a gfi outlet. A vaccuum cleaner runs more amps than a light and it uses chord like an extension chord.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Huge secret: a light bulb doesn't necessarily need the voltage or current type you're accustomed to to work.

I discovered this last year when while playing around, I wired up a string of 50 orange lights (yep, the type you just plug into your household 120v AC socket) with a USB plug and they lit up just fine under the 5v, 1500 mA DC current.

Anyway, I strongly suggest sticking with 120vAC. You can then add a junction box and multiple sockets to your column to use it for further power distribution. Or install a sound system, foggers, motion trigger sensors, etc. in the columns as well.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks for the replies, I get paranoid when it comes to electricity and since it is always raining at some point when everything is out I want everyone to be safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts