Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some DIY LED "mini spot" style lights,and I don't have access to RCA or stereo jacks in town or that could get to me in time. My question is do I have to have a cable to the power cord for each light or can I wire each light to one main cable.I.E christmas light style? and what would be the best way to do that?

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Well first you have figure power consumption for each light and multiply that by the number of lights. Your cable has to be able to carry that load. If you're good there, wire the lights parallel, (each light gets connected to positive and negative).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wired some of these this year. I did a combination of what you're talking about. For those that made sense to wire alone I did. Others I daisy chained together. All works fine. If you have a bigger yard haunt you may want to consider 2 power sources. Like J-man said the amount of lights is part of the formula but you get what's called voltage drop in long runs of cable which will reduce how many ft of cable and lights you can use. If you google voltage drop calculator you should find one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts