Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For an effect I'm considering:

... I may need to wirelessly transmit video from a laptop to at least one video projector. It seems there are dedicated whole house-range video transmitters (sorry, no models in particular I'm looking at). And many blu-ray players for ~$120 or less seem to have some sort of stream-video-from-your-computer option. Not sure on the particulars of this technology (DLNA).

Wondering what units folks here use. Either specifically for Halloween effects or even just for regular home use, and what they'd recommend (for or against).

Here are some constraints / considerations I have:

* Would like to keep the price at or below $130.
* Would really be great to have a built-in YouTube app if I go the blu-ray route (nice to have a spare blu-ray player)
* One of my projectors, the DG-747, has every input type I can think of needing (HDMI, composite, etc, etc). But two of my projectors that I may use for this are Discovery Wonderwalls and only have composite video input. A lot of the blu-ray units I've looked at only seem to have HDMI output. Can I easily / cheaply convert HDMI to composite video with a simple plug converter? Or would I need active electronics to convert the signal?

Some models of blu-ray players I'm considering are ones with built-in wifi (no additonal wifi dongle purchase required) and 3D blu-ray capable (may get a 3D TV in the future). Because they're in my price range and are easily bought at local stores (e.g. Best Buy and Target) so I can return easily if needed are:

Sony BDP-S5100
Samsung BD-F5900
LG BP530
Philips BDP-2985/F7

I'm leaning toward one of the blu-ray players (nice to have something that is multi-purpose). But also curious about the dedicated wireless video transmitters I sometimes see in stores like Best Buy--if they might have some great feature or quality that would make it worth purchasing as a one-trick-pony.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Have you considered using a media player? Its not exactly what you asked for, but may accomplish what you're after within your budget. These are very small devices designed to play video files directly off usb storage. They're not that common in the US, but Chinese manufacturers make tons of them. Here's the one that I use:

http://dx.com/p/1080p-full-hd-media-player-with-av-hdmi-usb-sd-mmc-silver-48656

I've used this device for several years, and have had no issues with it, which surprises the heck out of me frankly given I bought it from a dodgy chinese site. I plug an external hard drive loaded with video files into this thing, and it lets me navigate through the folders and play the files on my TV via an HDMI cable. It plays every video file type I've thrown at it. You can also use a USB stick or SD card, which would make the overall package cheap, small and easy to conceal as you plug it directly into your projector. You'd still have to convert the HDMI output to composite, however if you search around the site you can find other media players that use alternative outputs, such as this one:

http://dx.com/p/mini-1080p-full-hd-media-player-with-av-yprpb-hdmi-usb-sd-mmc-55119

I can't speak to the quality of the second device though.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I second TheMonsterSquad's suggestion about using a media player, unless there is a reason you have to stream it from a computer. The media players work good and there are a lot of choices out there. I use a Mica Speck, its going for $40 on Amazon right now. The Mica will take a external hard drive, a thumb drive or even an SD card with video on it for an input. It plays pretty much any format. It has HDMI output as well as a composite output which will work with your wonderwall projector. I think its a good choice and since they are not expensive you can get one for each projector, but do your research on specifications you desire. Some of them will even have youtube, Netflix and Amazon apps too but they cost more (not the speck though).

You can't convert HDMI to Composite with a simple cable. You need a device that will convert the digital HDMI to analog Composite. Be careful if you find an adapter cable that goes from HDMI to composite. It only converts the pin outs but does nothing to the signal, it will still be digital.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you MonsterSquad and Haunted Neurons. Those all look like great models (Deal Extreme sells some nifty stuff). Will have to check out the Mica Speck too. They'd be nice to have for stand-alone video sources but won't solve my wireless transmission problem.

For the effect I'm trying to achieve, I need wireless transmission so I can sync a projection to separate rooms (and distance may be too long for cables). The best idea suggested so far (in terms of cost) has been to author a single video in widescreen mode, then set-up a PC or laptop capable of outputting to multiple monitors, then output separate sections of the video to separate "monitors." It is so I can have perfect synchronization of a Haunted Mansion style "traveling light" (or silhouette) pass by windows in separate rooms--such that a ghostly personage seems to be walking through walls from room to room.

I second TheMonsterSquad's suggestion about using a media player, unless there is a reason you have to stream it from a computer. The media players work good and there are a lot of choices out there. I use a Mica Speck, its going for $40 on Amazon right now. The Mica will take a external hard drive, a thumb drive or even an SD card with video on it for an input. It plays pretty much any format. It has HDMI output as well as a composite output which will work with your wonderwall projector. I think its a good choice and since they are not expensive you can get one for each projector, but do your research on specifications you desire. Some of them will even have youtube, Netflix and Amazon apps too but they cost more (not the speck though).

You can't convert HDMI to Composite with a simple cable. You need a device that will convert the digital HDMI to analog Composite. Be careful if you find an adapter cable that goes from HDMI to composite. It only converts the pin outs but does nothing to the signal, it will still be digital.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The micca speck is simply amazing! However to answer your original question there is a way to transmit video wireless to a projector

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...ucts/ProdCatalogue/?N=5002508+4294874451&rt=d

seems to do what you want it to do however keep in mind it only seems to work with the 3M Mobile Projector MP410. It says it will transfer "content" not sure if that means live streaming of video "content" to the projector or will simply allow you to send files to the projector wirelessly which then get played back on a local storage in the projector

·
Registered
394 Posts
regarding the media players.
they can be set to loop?

what about triggering??
Most of them can loop videos pretty easily. Triggering is a different story. All of them come with remotes that can serve as triggers, but if you want to trigger with a motion sensor, break beam or similar, you'll need to get a more specialized device. Hi Rez Designs sells a triggering media player here: http://www.hi-rezdesigns.com/store/product.php?productid=17613&cat=250&page=1

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
yeah I like hi rez's stuff.
in fact i just got the triggering dvd player for the asylum door.
I would like to get another for the zombie barrel.
I like the idea of his triggering media players better. but I just dont have the budget for them.

I know media players in general are pretty cheap. just need a way to trigger them

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Still not sure if this is going to work for my haunted mansion style traveling light effect and be within budget.

·
Registered
304 Posts
you might also consider the new chromcast from google. Its supposed to plug into anything with a hdmi plug and can stream youtube, I have not played with one yet, but believe they have potential

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LG BP530 Blu Ray player

This doesn't really help me with my wireless option, or wired because it only has HDMI out (and I wanted to use it with some Discovery Wonderwalls which have composite-in video only). But My new LG BP530 Blu Ray player can play all MP4s I've been able to throw at it from YouTube and elsewhere. It will play WMV and 3GP but I haven't tested looping functionality.

It can play FLVs--but the limitation is that it doesn't allow A-B Repeat looping. And looping an entire video clip sucks because the screen goes white briefly and it shows a loop icon. Destroys the continuity of any effect. But the MP4s will A-B repeat seamlessly on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts