Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about useing wirelss speakers to cut down on cables.
I was going to use it for my haunted bust. so the dvd player can be near the projector and I wouldnt have to run a cable to the speakers under the bust.

I know there are alot of types of wireless speakers.

My main concern of coarse is static/ interferrence. Since I use an FM transmitter for my Hallowindow display

any good units out there that you have used?

I have seen units that use both battery and ac adaptors to the speakers and transmitters. another cable eliminated.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a set of these RCA ones: RCA WSP 155 Wireless speaker sys
I use on my back patio, since my Satellite radio reciever is in the garage. I used them on Halloween and the worked fine. They have 3 channels, so you try to find one with no interference. They run on an AC adapter or D-batteries, the latter what I used on Halloween. They arent an outdoor speaker, but if you protect them somewhat from the elements, you will be fine. Mine have actually been rained on more than once (Opps....) and still work great. I bought them at Best Buy 2 years ago. I dont know if they still carry them, but you can find them on the Net.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
I have 2 sets of the same speakers as MA.
They work perfectly, and you can actually run two separate tracks on two sets or use 4 speakers on one unit.

Look on ebay for good deals.

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
SI wireless speaker

I just picked up the Sharper Image Wireless Speaker from BestBuy (sale $40 + receive $10 gift card).

It uses a 900-MHz frequency, so it transmits up to 150 feet. The speaker uses 4 D-size batteries or the included AC adaptor.
The base has a 3.5-mm audio jack and cord for easy connection.
For a 5-watt speaker, the audio is great. No interference throughout my house.
And not that I would subject it to our wet and cold fall weather unprotected, but it has a water-resistant construction. The manual says, "unit should not be exposed to extreme rain or snow storms."

Now, I wonder if I pick up another unit, would it work as an add-on speaker for the same base?

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
If the sharper image tranmitter has a "channel scan" or some type of link button, you can likely pair another speaker with it. It's probably only looking for a few channels anyway.

As mentioned in my above post, I can match any number of speakers to the transmitter. I can run two transmitters at once, with no issue. If one picks up the wrong signal, just bring it near the transmitter and "relink" it, so to speak. This only works if you have battery powered speakers, though.

I highly recommend the wireless RCA speakers. They are okay for outdoor use and you get 2 speakers in a set. You can find them on ebay for $20 if you try.

I use one transmitter for my HHIAB and ambience... and then use the other inside for party music.

I also use regular old cd boomboxes and computer speakers were needed, but that's another story.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've used the kind sold as Audio Unlimited or Cables Unlimited in the canister or even fake rock style, and they always seemed to work pretty well. Plus the price is reasonable for a pair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts