Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because it's not very cost effective for me, I am planning on doing my own take on the
prop... I have built my chair, and am piecing together everything else.

I won't have a video, but more or less fog and strobes, and the actor will be doing the screaming. I need some way for the "show" to start/stop, so I was thinking of a wireless remote control... I found this on amazon, seems to have great reviews and is inexpensive. It looks like the 1 remote can power 3 outlets, which may come in handy for some other props I have.

What are your thoughts?

Any other recommendations? Hopefully within this price range?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't have those, but they sure sound like just RF-based X10 based controllers. X10 has been around a long time and uses the power wiring in your home to send the signal. These look to be RF, but same relay inside.

My first reaction is utter disgust for the marketing hype, that somehow having an appliance in sleep mode is killing baby penguins somewhere...but whatever.

Note that you only get two outlets even though the remote supports three. Wonder how much fuel and CO2 is wasted on those who order and ship another single outlet, besides all the packaging a separate outlet must use. Blah.

Also note that the RF may not be 100%, depends on microwaves and other interference. I have some and from place A in the house, works 99.9%, but other places it only gets the signal say 70%.

It does not list max amps, but should be fine for some lights and whatnot.

Note this is not helpful for fog. You need your fog turned on and ready all the time. Turning on/off the fogger at the wall is not going to control when it shoots out. Know what I mean, besides these remotes do not handle large loads like heaters.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use X10 but not for my haunt. I have this kit...

Remote Controlled Switch Socket - 3-Pack

It's cheap and it works. I like being able to control three things from one remote with just three easy to find buttons.
That kit looks pretty good. You're right, I like the 3 easy to find buttons, whereas the link I posted had a separate button for on and off. Since you're recommending it too, I at least know it works for someone else.

I think this may be the direction I want to go... and for $12, I can use it some place else if I don't end up using it in the haunt.

I have the American DJ Mister Kool fogger. I don't think it has DMX control, so I guess I am out of luck on automatic fogging? Any ideas on that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts