Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! This might be a newbie question, but I am going to asking it anyway. I am considering of purchasing this wireless trigger for all my pneumatic props in my haunt. The link to it is right here: http://www.frightprops.com/controllers-electronics/remote-control/wireless-trigger-12-relay.html
How do I hook up the props? Do I take the two wires on the solenoid and wire them directly into the trigger or do I have to wire them to a picaboo and then wire the picaboo to the trigger? If the wire is not long enough to reach the trigger, what kind of wire do I purchase to extend it? If someone has a video of them hooking this all up, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
668 Posts
As per the link, it can run the item itself without the need for an add on controller. It is the controller. For extending the wires, you want to be as close to whatever gauge wire it is on your solenoids.

Edit: here is a link to the operating manual for that device. It shows different configurations you can use.

http://www.frightprops.com/downloads/manuals/WirelessTrigersManual.pdf

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello Andrew. Icepick is right on the money with the reply. You can use the unit to control the solenoids without a controller. It will not allow you to program a routine but you will be able to open and close the valves. Without a controller you will need to get a 12 volt DC power supply. To power the solenoids will require the use of jumper wires on the receiving unit. Icepick included the link to the manual which should lay it out for you. As for wire, 18 gauge stranded will work. Best of luck and have fun!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Andrew. Icepick is right on the money with the reply. You can use the unit to control the solenoids without a controller. It will not allow you to program a routine but you will be able to open and close the valves. Without a controller you will need to get a 12 volt DC power supply. To power the solenoids will require the use of jumper wires on the receiving unit. Icepick included the link to the manual which should lay it out for you. As for wire, 18 gauge stranded will work. Best of luck and have fun!
Could you post a link to the wire you would buy? There are so many options and I don't wanna screw up! Does it matter how long I run the wire from the prop to the receiver?

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,420 Posts
Do a search for "18 gauge stranded wire", Lowes,Home Depot, Radio Shack, pretty much any auto parts store will have small spools. I would keep the lenght as short as possible.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Two years prior I used a similar device to run my props (it was actually a 4 channel aftermarket power lock controller). It worked "not bad" and did the job. What I found was that it could not cycle fast enough for what I wanted. One of my props was a coffin that had a "jumping" lid. The control unit could not respond quick enough to make the lid "jump".

Last year I upgraded and added a PicoBoo Max controller from Fright Ideas. This allows me the response speed I need to make the props look and act as they should. And the best part, The wireless controller now became a wireless trigger to start the scene.

Fright ideas has a full list of prop controller and accessories check them out at http://www.frightideas.com

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Two years prior I used a similar device to run my props (it was actually a 4 channel aftermarket power lock controller). It worked "not bad" and did the job. What I found was that it could not cycle fast enough for what I wanted. One of my props was a coffin that had a "jumping" lid. The control unit could not respond quick enough to make the lid "jump".

Last year I upgraded and added a PicoBoo Max controller from Fright Ideas. This allows me the response speed I need to make the props look and act as they should. And the best part, The wireless controller now became a wireless trigger to start the scene.

Fright ideas has a full list of prop controller and accessories check them out at http://www.frightideas.com
Thank you!

·
Registered
366 Posts
WARNING from a guy currently replacing all wireless controls with hard wired controls: If you use more than one of these they will interfere with each other (e.g. if two operators press a transmitter button at the same time, one or both signals will be blocked). I learned the hard way last year.

I am going to try ONE of these. Same as the original post except that it has individual receivers. Available on EBAY and the Asian EBAY - ALIBABA.

remote.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WARNING from a guy currently replacing all wireless controls with hard wired controls: If you use more than one of these they will interfere with each other (e.g. if two operators press a transmitter button at the same time, one or both signals will be blocked). I learned the hard way last year.

I am going to try ONE of these. Same as the original post except that it has individual receivers. Available on EBAY and the Asian EBAY - ALIBABA.

View attachment 200582
Please let me know how well this works! I would like to do that rather than one box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts