Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am looking to make a fast prop for my Halloween display. I have seen some of my other props from Party City and Spirit have this wire core foam tubing that could be bent into any position. This tubing is used as the armature for most props. I would like to know if this foam tubing is available, what is it really called, and where can I get it.

Thank You,

Diaval.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello All,

I am looking to make a fast prop for my Halloween display. I have seen some of my other props from Party City and Spirit have this wire core foam tubing that could be bent into any position. This tubing is used as the armature for most props. I would like to know if this foam tubing is available, what is it really called, and where can I get it.

Thank You,

Diaval.

I don't think this is exactly what you are looking for, but I saw a thread on here earlier where someone recommended using Fun Noodles (like you would use for flotation in a swimming pool) and then put wire through the middle of that. They had suggested buying tomato cages and cutting them apart for the wire. I guess it is cheaper then going out and just buying that gauge of wire. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
629 Posts
There's a product called "Backer Rod" that comes in several sizes and foam types. It would be fairly easy to run a slit down the length half way through the foam then insert a wire and glue the foam back together.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think this is exactly what you are looking for, but I saw a thread on here earlier where someone recommended using Fun Noodles (like you would use for flotation in a swimming pool) and then put wire through the middle of that. They had suggested buying tomato cages and cutting them apart for the wire. I guess it is cheaper then going out and just buying that gauge of wire. Hope this helps!
Hmmm, not exactly what I am after. Pool noodles are just too thick for my application.

There's a product called "Backer Rod" that comes in several sizes and foam types. It would be fairly easy to run a slit down the length half way through the foam then insert a wire and glue the foam back together.
While not exactly what I was looking for, it does come in the size I am after. I need it for special project. This actually ties in with my post in regards to the Maleficent costume I am making my wife. I am coming up with a new support system to mount the horns, as the current headband / wooden dowels I am using now is not cutting it. The foam rods would be lighter and with the wire in place I could have some freedom in positioning the horns.

However I am very curious about it if these rods can COME with the wire core as I have seen many props at Party City & Spirit that use these wire core rods as armatures for their props.

But given that I don't need a long length of rod, only about 6", I could go with these baker rods and just shove a wire up there. Another thing that is nice about this method is that I can control the length of the wire exiting the rod and that would be what I would use to mount the horns. What is also nice is that these backer rods come in all different sizes. I need 7/8ths and they have it.

I probably will go this route and get some #6 solid copper wire for the support. That size wire can bend but it is hard to do so, just what I need.

Thank You for the information.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hello All,

Thank You,

Diaval.
What size are you looking for? width and length?
I know you can get 3/8 foam wire tie at Lee Valley Tools - I bought some to secure plants without damaging them.

www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,43319,33283&p=70731

You can probably find something similar on amazon.
Walmart sells Twist n' Stay which comes in a pack.

Twiststay.jpg

Also try searching for foam twist ties.
(They also sell larger hair curlers made like this but they would not come in long lengths)
I don't know how long you need them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I buy the wire for this same application at home depot. Sorry I cannot remember the gauge but it is with the picture hanging products. The one I use is garden wire and has a green plastic coating. Around $8 for 100 ft. Then over to the plumbing section for foam insulation tubes.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What size are you looking for? width and length?
I know you can get 3/8 foam wire tie at Lee Valley Tools - I bought some to secure plants without damaging them.

You can probably find something similar on amazon.
Walmart sells Twist n' Stay which comes in a pack.

Also try searching for foam twist ties.
(They also sell larger hair curlers made like this but they would not come in long lengths)
I don't know how long you need them.
I would need it fairly thick, around 7/8" to an 1 1/4" But I don't need them very long...less than 6". The backer rods do come in this size. The items you show are definitely good ideas and I will look into them, but it appears they are much thinner. The hair curlers look pretty good too IF they come thicker.

I buy the wire for this same application at home depot. Sorry I cannot remember the gauge but it is with the picture hanging products. The one I use is garden wire and has a green plastic coating. Around $8 for 100 ft. Then over to the plumbing section for foam insulation tubes.
Yes, I saw this wire in the garden department of Lowes and it is too flexible. The only thing I found that was stiff, but still pliable was #6 (or #4) copper grounding wire. This wire I could force through the center of a backer rod. But granted if I could find those twist tie or hair curler things in the thickness I want, then it will just save me a step.

Anyway, thank you all for the info thusfar. At least I have some direction in what to look for.

Diaval.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts