Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked my husband to pick up a wiper motor today at the chain automotive parts store. I expected it to be maybe $20.

They charged him $46.99 plus a $10 core charge. And this is a re-furbished one!!!

Does this sound right??
Where do you get your motors?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree, see if you can return it. I order mine from Monster Guts as well, bran new motors and I've never had a problem with them.

·
Tormentor of Cucurbits
3,477 Posts
Automotive parts stores are definitely not the place to buy them unless its for your car. For some reason the price really jumps when it's for a specific application. If you have your receipt you should have no problem returning it. I agree with everyone else, Monster Guts is the place to buy.......

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. You're right about Monster guts. What a price difference. This other piece of [email protected]#$% is going back tomorrow. I got the package from Monster guts that includes the connecting wires and powerpack cheaper than what my husband paid at O'stickittome's Auto Parts. I can't wait to have my very first automated prop!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Shoot, I went to my local pick a part. They were having an all you can carry for $25. I stopped after 25 of them. I figured a dollar a piece was okay with me. Definitely go the computer power source route as well. I was hesitant at first, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just got 10 of them for $5 each at the junk yard. Look at yellowpages.com to find a local junk yard, call them and ask about some wiper motors, most have more than they need and would love to sell you a bunch. Mine did have the arm of the wiper on it, but 2 nuts later, that was gone and I was left with a great wiper motor to power my head popper!

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
My concern about getting them at a junk yard is I would have to figure out the wiring and power sources. I know NOTHING about electronics! If I can find someone to do that part for me I will definitely try it though.
Dont let that scare you,remember junk yard or parts house you still need to do the wiring and power source so save the money.

·
Mistress of Mayhem
1,673 Posts
My concern about getting them at a junk yard is I would have to figure out the wiring and power sources. I know NOTHING about electronics! If I can find someone to do that part for me I will definitely try it though.

That's exactly why I got the same gig you did from monsterguts - I did NOT want to mess with any wiring. To me, it was worth the extra money to have a plug-n-play motor. You did good !

·
Registered
638 Posts
I guess its all in what u r looking for. For those of us who have the time and inclination and dont want to spend the extra $$, junkyards are FRIGGIN GOLDMINES!!! For those who have the $$ and not the desire to rip parts out of old cars, and may be less mechanically inclined, places like monster guts are great.

I will tell you that wiper motors, or any other dc gear motor, are about the least complex thing in the world to wire. If you are unsure, just tap the power and ground leads to seperateterminals until you find a combination that works...there should be only 3 or 4. usually a ground, a fast speed continuous, a slow speed continuous and a pulse for intermittant wipers...like i said just touch the power output wires to the terminals on the motor til you find something that works.

As long as you are not touching them to the same one you are golden...though touching them together does make a pretty light show...but only until you blow up your power supply...potentially start a fire and then you have to smell that cool burning electrical smell... On second thought, light show is soooo not worth it.

-dannyK

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to forum, but lurker for a while:
I just picked up 1/2 dozen Saturn wiper motors with controllers for 50% off at Ecology last weekend. $5 each.
All but one was perfect working order and with the controller I can use it to drive them with 3 intermittent settings and 2 static speeds @ 12VDC.
Since I'm already a Saturn fanatic I have the electrical schematics for the switch and resistances needed to drive it correctly.
The nice thing is that it also can drive another motor like how it normally drives the wiper and mister when you are cleaning your windshield.

I'm using them on a witch for the classic witch and cauldron that will use intermittent feature instead of constantly panning her head back and forth while stirring the pot.

So while the Monster Guts wiper motors are a good deal I feel that having a micro controller for the motor at 1/3 the price is the ticket.

FYI removing them from the Saturn S series vehicles takes a little time, but once you know the process it's a snap.
I think it requires a 20 Torx 13mm socket, 10mm socket 7mm socket, pliers, and a screwdriver.
Inside:
Remove the dash board. (7mm socket)
Remove the insulation Foam. (hands)
Remove the Defroster vent. (10mm socket, hands)
Remove the sound material on driver side firewall to expose 10mm bolts to remove(10mm socket)
Outside:
Remove wiper blades (13mm socket)
Remove wiper cowling (Torx, pliers, screwdriver, etc)
Remove wiper armature nuts (13mm socket)
Remove wiper armature arms from motor arm(screwdriver/prybar)
Remove/cut Harness at fwd bulkhead (pliers)
Remove motor assembly (patience finagling)

It's up to you to keep the armature or not. It makes for a good mount and linkage, but some yards may charge you more for it.

If you find a well dismantled Saturn with a removed windshield chances are you'll be 99% of the way to the wiper motor. It's about 15-20 minutes on a complete car and about 5 minutes on one with the windshield removed.

Hope this helps.
I'll post the schematics and the Factory Service Manual images for removal this weekend on my website.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts