Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
240VAC to 12VDC adapter. Make sure it's at least 5A.
I have done that it moves so slow you can't see it moving at all do you think it's because the wiper motor I have is from a London black taxi and the amp are higher then a normal car ,???? Could I run it on a battery charger instead would that be safe thanks for your reply Gary

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hate have to take heavy duty batteries through the house every year and worrying about charging them that's why I would like to put the window wiper motors through some sort of converter and run it off the mains electric

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Hate have to take heavy duty batteries through the house every year and worrying about charging them that's why I would like to put the window wiper motors through some sort of converter and run it off the mains electric
If your motors work fine on a car battery but don't work with the AC to DC adapter you tried, then that adapter is not outputting enough amps. Typically a good quality regulated power supply of at least 5A will operate a wiper motor easily. Understand that all power supplies are not created equal, some of the cheaper ones do not output their rated current.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thank you so much for your help I have a 5amp one obviously it's not powerful enough I will keep you informed when I find and a suitable source of power thank you again

·
Registered
28 Posts
View attachment 757536 do you think this would work
I do believe one of these 12vdc switching power supplies will work, I use one to power a 12vdc wheelchair motor and it has worked for 2 seasons, so one of these power supplies should be able to power a few wiper motors depending upon the amount of amps your motor is pulling. But do not max out your power supply, you should only pull about 80% of the power supplies max current just to be safe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think you would end up burning out a battery charger and be unhappy with the performance leading up to the failure. A switched 12Vdc power supply is a good option, you could also use something like a phone charger, laptop power source or even an older desktop power supply. As long as the output is 12Vdc and the current rating exceeds the draw of the wiper motor. Something to keep in mind regarding current. It doesn't matter if the supply is rated significantly higher than what you need, the device will only draw the amps it needs to move. So if you have a 12Vdc supply that will produce 100amps, the motor will still only draw 8amps.
Given you are working with a wiper motor, you probably have some leeway as to voltage level. The motor will likely run on anything from 10 to 15Vdc, however the the current draw will be higher with a lower voltage and lower with a higher voltage. That being said, I typically stick with a 12Vdc supply for any and all wiper motor props I build.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The motor will likely run on anything from 10 to 15Vdc, however the the current draw will be higher with a lower voltage and lower with a higher voltage.
NO NO NO !

The motor will draw LESS current when connected to a lower voltage and MORE current when connected to a higher voltage.

I run a standard 12V wiper motor from 5V and it works fine. It draws less current than if it were on a 12V supply.

Another one runs from 12V via a speed controller so I can adjust the speed (for a rocking chair).

·
Registered
563 Posts
I can’t recall what the upper range is on the older ones, but remember that car alternator usually (unless a diode is burnt up in the rectifier) but out 14v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts