Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing around and found a site that sells mannequins attached to a hand truck moving a sign. You know the type to help attract attention to a business. Here's the site: http://www.signwavingrobot.com/economy.html

Anywho, I got the idea to build a few props and run them off of batteries to avoid the need for an extension cord. This is only for some specific locations where cords are an issue or mobility is desired. So my question is, has anyone else done this and if so, what kind of battery worked best? A marine battery or ... ?

I was able to track down the battery charger that they use on pic 28 of the above link. Here is a direct link to purchase the charger : http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/energizer-12-volt-2-amp-battery-charger-e-1202.html

There are other sources for these things but I just posted the first ones that I found. According to the Sign/Robot site a 6-hour charge will run the prop for 20 hours! That's the line that got me excited. So what are your thoughts on battery types? If I can find a smaller, lighter, cheaper battery that will run for 8 to 10 hours that would be great! And not have to deal with the expense and weight of a car battery.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I try to run everything on low voltage for safety reasons. I use a marine trolling motor battery & a rectifier aka battery charger. I hook up a terminal strip for the positive and another one for the negative. From there to all my props and lighting.

For the high current props, i have a place built inside them to hold a battery. Like one is a 75W offroad light and 2 car horns, when that is activated, it pulls some current so the battery is inside the prop box. Its so i dont have to run large gauge wire from main low voltage source to wherever that may be.

Hope this helps ya.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
You can use these. Sealed and rechargeable. These were out of a broken scooter. You can also find them in power wheels and emergency exit lights. Just make sure you put an in line fuse in like the one shown to protect the battery and the wire.10 amp should be ok on a wiper motor. amp View attachment 265582
That type of battery probably won't last long for a wiper motor.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Just the mannequin itself would attract my business!

There is probably a small 12volt gear motor that would make the same movement, that could be powered by a battery.
Even those vent motors will run off a regular 9-volt battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts