Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased 2 motors from monster guts and both are acting the same. When I plug them into the power supply they just go bump, bump, bump. They don't actually spin. My first through is they don't have enough amps to turn the motor and get it started, but they are 12V/6A power supplies I purchased from Amazon. I got them specifically because they were higher amps and I expected that to make the motor start easily.

The first time I plugged them in, it did the bump, bump, bump. I unplugged the motor from the power supply and plugged it in again. It immediately turned, but then when I unplugged it again, it went back to bump, bump, bump. Both did the same thing and I'm not sure what the solution would be.

I have the wires on the pigtail connector on the ground and the high speed pin.

Any suggestions from the experts out there? It's plugged into my 110V outlet (in the kitchen) so I wouldn't expect any issues with power.

Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
sounds to me like your 6 amps might not be enough. I have a couple of 12 volt 5 amp power supplies that will power my monster guts wiper motor, but I also have some 12 volt 5 amp power supplies that make the same wiper motor go bump...bump...bump

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Yeah, all power supplies are not created equal. Sounds like your's ain't gonna work. Try connecting the motor to your car battery and see if it runs, I bet it will.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am not convinced that you have the wires on the right terminals to make it work. i remember having the same problem.

make sure the ground wire is fixed to the casing of the motor (there is usually a lug somewhere) and then try the other terminals with the live wire.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had issues with 1 of the 4 motors I have from Monsterguts. I had various power supplies that would run the other motors but just couldn't get this one up and running. As J-Man stated, try hooking it up to your car battery. Using this method, I ran mine on both low and high for a while. Afterward the motor stopped that herky-jerky bump bump bump nonsense and has been working (or should I say cooperating!) with my power supplies ever since.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
To quote Tim the Toolman Taylor.... you need more power! Arr! Arr! Arr! It's trying to start the motor, registering the curent drain as a short circuit, then shutting the supply you are using down. Then, it starts up again and repeats the cycle.

·
Registered
265 Posts
you're probably using a laptop power supply or some other sort of unregulated power supply...when too many amps are being drawn too quickly, as with induction loads, the power supply is shutting down to prevent burnout, then immediately resets, which is why you're getting bursts....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts