Halloween Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to working with motors but I've been busy experimenting. I have 4 now and have successfully connected each to a 12v 5a power adapter. But a 5th motor was included as a freebie and I have no idea how to hook it up and I'm wondering if it's even possible? I'm attaching photos, as you'll see there is only a red wire and nothing more, there's even an off/on switch on the underside. Again I have no idea what I'm dealing with here or how to even go about working with this. Yes I did try hooking up the red wire only but no reaction, I'm fine not using it but it would be nice if possible, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips! I'm experimenting with doing that but so far no luck, maybe I haven't found the perfect spot on the casing yet or maybe I'm just doing it wrong =D ! I just have a long strip of exposed negative wire and I'm wrapping it around certain spots. However in one spot it sparked a little, not sure if a small spark is a good or bad sign.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
After closer inspection of your picture, it really appears as though that red wire is grounded to the case. Use a meter and check for continuity between the red wire and a clean bare metal spot on the case.
If there's continuity, then that "red" wire is the ground. You'll have to open the case and find the positive connection. This may be why you saw a spark, it was probably a direct short.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am a tractor mechanic, as stated, the motors are often used on tractors, snowcats etc. Someone mentioned grounding at the mounting hole, which should work nicely IF you sand down the paint to bare metal. I just installed an identical unit to this one this week. Originally, on one of the two screws that hold the case together ( on the mounting hole side) there was a tab with a hole through it so that you could connect a female terminal onto it. The installer must have removed this tab to make installation easier (as did I). the best ground in this case would be to one of the two case screws using a ring terminal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts