Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I think I must be mentally challenged.
I have read over many, *many* posts and websites about wiring a wiper motor to a computer power supply, but I just am not able to get it to work. Someone has to write a tutorial for those of us without engineering degrees.

I have not been able to find any information about which wire is which - the motor I am using has a green, blue, red and black wire (and is from a '92 Voyager...) Heeeeeeelp!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was having the same issues.......I went to the car and popped the hood...connected wires until I found the combo that worked and then applied that to the power supply...now I just have to figure out how to make linkage for a coffin banger. Time is running short and there is still so much to do!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Not having knowing the motor but guessing off your color coded wires-

Try hooking up to the red (Should be +12V) and black (Should be Ground) wires of the motor with +12V (Yellow) and Ground (Black) from your computer power supply.

Here is a picture of a typical computer power supply connector (Stolen off the web). It shows color codes of the wires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Remember also, that the computer power supply may have to be jumpered to power it up.

To explain:

As you know, when you turn on your computer, there is a "power" button you have to power the computer up. Since the power supply you are using isn't in a computer, you have to simulate a power button on your power supply and you do that, by joining two wires together.

The trick is finding the right two wires. On my power supply, I hooked up the white and black wires. Sorry I don't have a picture. Maybe this will help:

ATX Power Supply

In this diagram, you would simply need to connect the green wire with any black wire. Some power supplies differ, I think. I crossed white and black with mine and it worked.

Your mileage may vary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts