Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first attempt to make a halloween prop using a wiper motor. i've searched for instructions on how to "hard wire" a wiper motor. my wiper motor has 1 connection with 5 metal connections. it has a row of 3, and a row of 2. i'm sure i will have to either break the connector housing, or some other form of way to gain access to the contacts. from what i can gather, there is not a universal connector. I will be using either a 12v 5a power supply or a auto battery charger. which metal contacts do i use? thanks in advance. txmedic1

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm using a couple of wiper motors for props too. I have 93' Honda wiper motors with different colors than shown on Scary Terry's page. After experimenting, I found that the blue/stripped and green/stripped wires worked best. However, one them stalls and stutters when powered up. It does this without a load and regardless of the power source. The power source is 12v 5a and it powers the other wiper motor that I bought from the same source just fine. Does anyone know why the motor does this?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks for the link. I was hoping for more info on the wiring scheme that I have with stripped colors. But what I'm really interested in is finding out why this wiper motor sometimes works and mostly stutters at other times. I think its just a bad wiper motor???

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Have you moved the wire around to the different connections to see what each one does? There is almost always a fast, slow and park connection.

They don't go bad very often but it does happen. When I have one that isn't working, I always double check it with a different power supply that I know works. Same thing with a questionable power supply. I will test it on a wiper motor that I know works. But it's sometimes hard (and expensive) to keep a working spare of everything around.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes, I did. The only color combination that I could get to work was the one that I'm using. Again today, it was stuttering and then bam, it starting working normally again. I guess that I'll check the wire connections again. It could be a loose internal connection I suppose. Well, if I can't figure it out I'll break it down after the big day.

·
Banned
337 Posts
Hi Ghost Ninja. There's nothing more frustrating in this world than an intermittent electrical problem. I'd suggest you PM Creepy Creations at the link I provided above for more tech. advice. He's stated on other threads he's happy to help. As Screaming Demons was eluding to.....an elect. motor works or it doesn't. Any issues you are experiencing is very probably with cross wiring somewhere. I can't advise. Talk to someone who knows. PM Creepy Creations my friend and good luck with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
Ghost Ninja
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing