Halloween Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a wiper motor from Monster Guts. I started working with it by attaching arm (made from flatstock) directly to the rotor. It works but can slip. I see the provided OEM stub arm has teeth to prevent this from happening. However, the other end of the arm is a permanently attached ball. Has anyone found a clean way of removing the ball so a bolt can be used?

Thanks!

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
I haven't had a motor from MonsterGuts yet, but I've removed the ball connector from other motors simply by drilling it out. I was using a vise and drill press (not a hand drill).

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Sure have. Use a belt sander or grinder to remove the mushroomed metal opposite the ball on the arm. Grind it flush with the surface of the arm then clamp the arm in a bench vise, ball down. Use a 1/4" steel dowel pin (get one at the hardware store) to punch out the ball. You may need to twist the ball a bit with a pliers to break it loose from the arm before using the punch. When grinding, remember that the arm will get hot - use pliers to hold it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You can use some lock washers on your flat bar. Also, make sure you make your hole in the flat bar just slightly small so that the shaft will self-tap a thread into the bar when you screw it on by twisting it. I've never had a problem with stripping except for a wiper motor that I had last year where the threads on the shaft were already stripped.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
You could also use a pvc arm and just drill a hole slightly smaller than the ball and force it through. It will hold very tightly and is very easy to do.

·
Bog Body
1,473 Posts
i use aluminum and tighten it down hard so it sort of imprints the groves or what have you onto it. no slippage that way. i think it helps that aluminum is a softer metal. i have also removed the ball using the drill press method. go slow and careful if you go that route, sucker gets hot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts