Halloween Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a used motor and wired it up to a wall wart adapter to open and close a light coffin door (made of foam). The wall wart was 12v and 1 amp output. Well it turned the motor slowing down a bit at the heaviest pushing point. It would keep going for a while but slowly decreasing speed. When I turned it off it would not come back on. The wall wart adapter was warm. Now I have tried this with 3 different voltage and amperage rated adapters. From 12v-16v and about 800Ma to 1 amp. And it did the same thing. Stopped working after a few minutes. What is the problem? I need help. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I always use computer power supplies to power my wiper motors. It looks like you have enough power to turn the motor, but the motor might not be the problem. When I started making moving props, There was a couple of times that friction would cause a nut to over tighten on my linkage and cause it to bind. I don't know how you are connecting the wiper motor to the lid, but you could start by looking there. I didn't see you mention if you were testing the motor with out a load.
Divide and conquer. The motor is the middle point. If you can run the motor perfectly with out a load then look at the linkage. If the linkage moves freely, then you might want to try a power supply with more amps. The motor will move faster or slower with varying the voltage. It will have more or less power with varying the amps.

....at least that's what my shirt is telling me.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts