Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I have read every thread regarding wiper motors but haven't seen one addressing my problem.

I'm building an Axworthy Ghost and have purchased a MG Wiper Motor. My question is this: what's the best way to attach the bicycle wheel, pulley, pie plates, (etc), or whatever you may be using for the crank?

I'm currently looking for the equivalent of the MG Wiper Motor Shaft Extension (they're sold out) hoping that will solve my problem. It looks like its just standard nuts/bolts, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas, and pictures of your Axworthy set ups would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Threaded rod with threaded stock. I have used T nuts as well but you still need threaded rod stock. You may need lock tite as well. If you spin it clockwise it shouldn't be a problem with unthreading but I would use it anyway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Threaded rod with threaded stock. I have used T nuts as well but you still need threaded rod stock. You may need lock tite as well. If you spin it clockwise it shouldn't be a problem with unthreading but I would use it anyway.
Thanks for the reply! I just checked out your Youtube channel.... awesome props!

So a threaded rod with threaded stock. I've found the threaded rods no problem, but nothing for threaded rod with threaded stock. Will the rod need to be welded to the wiper post? Or is the threaded stock what connects the wiper post and the threaded rod?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Also make sure you get the correct pitch thread. It will not screw on completely if you get the wrong pitch. I have worked with plenty of different threads on wiper motors so yours may be different.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also make sure you get the correct pitch thread. It will not screw on completely if you get the wrong pitch. I have worked with plenty of different threads on wiper motors so yours may be different.
Ok, I'll just take the motor with me and test the couplers. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm doing the same thing with a Frightprops motor. I bought an 8mm threaded rod and 8mm coupling nut from Amazon. (I think MG is 6 mm.) I attached the coupling nut to the motor and inserted the longer rod in the top, securing both top and bottom threads with JB Weld thread lock liquid. For the wheel, I used a Harbor Freight wheelbarrow rim ($6). To keep the rim from wobbling on the thread extension, I wound some Gorilla duct tape around rod so that the rim would fit snuggly around the rod. This is going to be used to move a fairly lightweight item around the yard, but I'm using the same setup--though with two wheel rims--to move my unicycle skeleton, which is fairly heavy.

Motor 1.JPG Motor 2.JPG

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm doing the same thing with a Frightprops motor. I bought an 8mm threaded rod and 8mm coupling nut from Amazon. (I think MG is 6 mm.) I attached the coupling nut to the motor and inserted the longer rod in the top, securing both top and bottom threads with JB Weld thread lock liquid. For the wheel, I used a Harbor Freight wheelbarrow rim ($6). To keep the rim from wobbling on the thread extension, I wound some Gorilla duct tape around rod so that the rim would fit snuggly around the rod. This is going to be used to move a fairly lightweight item around the yard, but I'm using the same setup--though with two wheel rims--to move my unicycle skeleton, which is fairly heavy.

View attachment 716317 View attachment 716318
Nice set up!
Thanks for sharing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts