Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be using a wiper motor for my toe pincher coffin this year, however, I have wired my wiper motor to my power supply and the motor does not rotate smoothly, instead it seams to tick. I'm using a 12 volt 5 amp power supply and a Jeep CJ5 wiper motor, MN: PPWPM437. I'm baffled as to what is causing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,779 Posts
Do you have anything else you can power the motor off of temporarily (like a car battery) to eliminate the power supply? That sounds like something in the motor. We use a lot of wiper motors and I have never heard one tick. It is not unusual to hear them whine.

Is this a new motor?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
As diabolik has suggested, try powering that motor with a car battery and see if runs normally. It could be the power supply causing the problem.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The big, flat basically upright Jeep windshield catches every bug (I have a Jeep) so those wiper motors might get a lot more hard work than the average wiper motor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just now watching the motor again, and am noticing that the light on the power supply flickers as opposed to just staying lit. So its safe to say that the motor is drawing much more power than the supply can give. Now only question is, can I find a power supply more powerful than 12v 5a?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I figured that was the problem. Not all power supplies are created equal. Just because the one you have "says" 5A doesn't mean it can deliver. A good quality regulated 12v 5A power supply would most likely work fine, like the ones FrightProps sells.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts