Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This is my first year in trying animated props. I looked at a lot of videos and forums and decided to try using a wiper motor. Problem is I can't get it to power on at all when connected directly to a power supply.

Here's some info:
Motor: part number REPJ361105 bought from ebay
Power Supply: 12v 5amp - Originally bought to power LED strips if that means anything. Amazon number: B073RDR5CM

Sorry - can't post links since this is my first post.

I tried various wiring combinations using the adapter shown in the image but get nothing. I can confirm that the power supply is at 12v with a multi-meter. Does anyone have any tips on how to connect this? I can't find a datasheet on the motor.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20180202_124710.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also you might need a 10a power supply. Try it on a battery to see if it turns, but make sure the wiring is right.

I have a motor that wont run on a 5a so I put it on a 10a
Forgive my lack of knowledge here but what type of battery are you referring to? Like a car battery?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Forgive my lack of knowledge here but what type of battery are you referring to? Like a car battery?

Thanks
Yes, a 12V car battery. I would highly suggest using a 10A fuse inline before attempting this since you don't know which wires to connect. A car battery will do instant damage if you connect the wrong wires without a fuse. If you blow the fuse, those connections were incorrect. If the motor runs with the battery, your power adapter doesn't have enough amperage.

·
Registered
681 Posts
One issue I have had in the past and it was trial and error. A wiper motor that has 4 wires like yours has low speed, High Speed, and two park wires. No ground wire because the body of the motor grounds straight to the chassis of the vehicle. Try hooking up a wire our just touching a ground wire to the body of the motor
and see if that works.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Harboe is probably correct. A picture of the area where the wires go into the gear case might be helpful, can't tell from the pic you posted. It appears that the red and yellow wires go into the motor case. If so, I would say red is high speed, yellow is low speed, and you need to ground the case with another wire. If that works, then the green and white wires are the park circuit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts