Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so another person posted recently that they were having some issues with their motor not working right while hooked up to their power supply. I am having the same problem. The motor shaft turns when hooked up, but turns very slowly and more of a jerking than an actual turning.
I just assumed that it was because I did not have enough amperage in my power supply even though I have a 12V 5A power supply. Now I am thinking it may be something else. My motor only has 4 wires used to connect it to the power supply. There is a red wire, a green wire, a white wire and a yellow wire. The only black wire I see is coming directly out of the motor chassis and into the backside of the part where the shaft is and where the red and white wires come out and there is a second black wire again coming out where the red and white wires come out that is fastened to a screw on the backside of the part where the shaft comes out. The yellow and green wires come directly out of the motor chassis.

We connected the red wire from the power supply to the red wire on the motor and the other wires we tested one by one connecting to the black wire from the power supply. It didn't matter which wire we connected to the black wire on the power supply it still did the slow jerking thing. Is it possible that we need to somehow connect the black wire from the motor to the black wire on the power supply to get it to actually work like it supposed to?

I am including pics. of both the motor and the wires of the power supply. We have a speed controller currently hooked to the power supply and then wires from the speed controller we were going to hook to the motor.

DSCF1887.jpg
DSCF1888.jpg
DSCF1889.jpg

Thankfully I do have a different motor I can use if we can't figure this out. But would still like to use these motors in the future with hopefully a 12V 5A power supply. I may turn out that I may have to get a higher amperage power supply, but want to make doubly sure it's not a wiring issue first.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
From the pictures it appears that the yellow and green wires go directly into the motor case and not the gear box. If so, I would say red is positive, and either yellow or green would be negative (2 speeds).
The white is probably "park". If the motor is jerking when connected to your power supply it's likely not providing enough amperage. Try the car battery to see if it runs properly.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the pictures it appears that the yellow and green wires go directly into the motor case and not the gear box. If so, I would say red is positive, and either yellow or green would be negative (2 speeds).
The white is probably "park". If the motor is jerking when connected to your power supply it's likely not providing enough amperage. Try the car battery to see if it runs properly.
We did test it with a car battery and it ran perfectly fine. So I guess that it means it is an amperage issue as we first thought and not a wiring issue then. I just wanted to make doubly sure that it wasn't a wiring issue. I have absolutely no idea what car/truck this motor is to go in and there was no wiring diagram with it. It was an overstocked item my hubby found for cheap on some website. Never seen a motor with these wiring colors that didn't have a black wire also. Thanks for the help J-man. Looks like I will be putting higher amperage power supplies on my Christmas wish list then so I have them for next years prop builds.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Like I said, a 5A power supply is more than enough if it lives up to it's rating. The 5A power supplies that FrightProps or Monster Guts sell work fine. I have also purchased 5A power supplies from ebay that also work fine but it's not always a guarantee.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I randomly selected this thread out of multiple posts on this subject. I have 4 wiper motor props (probably 10+ years old) that happily run off a 2 amp power supply. I am noticing that the motors purchased a year or 2 ago (2 from Monster Guts and the other I can't remember where I got it) all want a 5 amp power supply to run (actually to start). It is not a problem for me but I was curious as to why. Did the motors change over time?

I caught myself going down the worm hole on the hunt for start capacitor info, slapped my wrist, and stopped. I have plenty of 5 amp power supplies.

This issue was discovered while getting "THE" Hangman build off my bucket list:
http://www.snydercentral.com/halloween/props/hangman/hangman.htm

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Have you tried the same 2A PS that runs your old motors on the newer motors? My guess is that your old 2A supply is beefier than it's labeled. That being said, most current day power supplies have an internal safety overload circuit that shuts off the output when the load is too great. This typically happens on start up of the wiper motor (or any motor for that matter).

·
Registered
475 Posts
Side by side the same power supply runs the old props but not the new motors. Once again the old props use 10+ year old motors and not sure if they are Saturn motors but they sure looked like them. The next time I have one of the old props apart I will take a look but from what I recall there was no info plate or other identification on them. Like I said it is NO issue for me. I just asked because I just thought it was strange.

This has no problem running all 3 new motors at the same time :)

32amp12vdcpower.jpg

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Just spit balling but it's possible that the new motors are wired for more torque and require more current.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,034 Posts
I had an issue with a power supply and wiper motor where the motor would not run off the power supply unless it was hooked up to a speed control. Since I intended to use a speed control anyways it was not an issue, but it was weird. 12v 5a power supply. I actually tested the motor on a 12w 1A wall wart and it ran fine. I figured it was some kind of surge protection built into the power supply that kept too much power from being drawn, like when the motor first starts. By adding a speed control, by my reasoning I was dampening that initial surge/draw so the power supply was not shutting down. Made sense in my mind anyway, but I'm probably wrong. lol

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I had an issue with a power supply and wiper motor where the motor would not run off the power supply unless it was hooked up to a speed control. Since I intended to use a speed control anyways it was not an issue, but it was weird. 12v 5a power supply. I actually tested the motor on a 12w 1A wall wart and it ran fine. I figured it was some kind of surge protection built into the power supply that kept too much power from being drawn, like when the motor first starts. By adding a speed control, by my reasoning I was dampening that initial surge/draw so the power supply was not shutting down. Made sense in my mind anyway, but I'm probably wrong. lol
Your reasoning is correct. The speed control is PWM which actually works by turning the output power on and off very quickly at a rate determined by the setting. That quick on/off pulsing likely prevents the power supply from sensing an overload situation.

·
Registered
475 Posts
another motor question: I have some ASI 388 Electronic Grade RTV Silicone I've used in the past on circuit boards for water proofing. Any thoughts on using it to waterproof the terminals and terminal block on the wiper motor or is it best that the motor not get wet at all? I'm afraid a rain shroud (e.g. coffee can) would prohibit cooling.

2nd video (top of the link) is offered as proof the wiper motor will run on 2 amp power supply with speed control as previously discussed.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
another motor question: I have some ASI 388 Electronic Grade RTV Silicone I've used in the past on circuit boards for water proofing. Any thoughts on using it to waterproof the terminals and terminal block on the wiper motor or is it best that the motor not get wet at all? I'm afraid a rain shroud (e.g. coffee can) would prohibit cooling.

2nd video (top of the link) is offered as proof the wiper motor will run on 2 amp power supply with speed control as previously discussed.
It's best if you can protect the entire motor from water. I wouldn't worry about it over heating, your car's wiper motor is subjected to under hood temperature which is probably much more than your prop motor will ever see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts