Halloween Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been doing some online early halloween shopping and need to take the home haunt up a level.
Instead of all the store bought animated props, I want to start using my air compressor. BUT, I think before that I should look into the motor props first.

So been trying to decide what wiper motors to order, but I dont know what props will be using them yet.
Is there really much of a difference for props between rpm's? torques?

Been trying to decide between:
1. http://www.frightprops.com/electric-motors-1/motors/dual-speed-high-torque-prop-motor-mot1.html

2. http://www.frightprops.com/electric-motors-1/motors/motor-controller-power-supply-kit.html

3. http://monsterguts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=164

It's just so hard for someone who hasnt used them yet, to make a big multiple product purchase, and not knowing what props they will be used in/for. Heck, I havent even decided on a theme yet for this year and that has to be first!

any thoughts on having an "inventory" of motors in the house incase a prop needs them? or would it be better to stock up on pnuematic stuff instead.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
IMO, Monsterguts has the best deals. I have several of their motors (used with theirs and various other power supplies) and have had zero issues. The Picovolt system looks good, but I did notice that when the recorded sequence replayed the motor did not stop in the same place as in the original sequence. This might not be a problem for your application, but it's important to note that the Picovolt controller does not index the motor.

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
726 Posts
It's never a bad thing to have an "inventory" of motors. I have 4 wiper motors all from Monsterguts and they work great with no issues. I had two and purchased two more for 2011 for some new projects. Unfortunately only one project got done so I ended the year with an extra motor. I also bought a bunch of the 12VDC "vent motors" from Surplus Center and only used 4 of them. I always like to have extra since you know something will always break.

Pneumatics are good to have too and I invested time and money there as well. I ended up using some but not all of what I had of had planned to use. They're really used for different things so it all depends on what you want to do. Pneumatics are better for fast response time and heavier lifting. Motors are better for high torque, slower repetitive types of animation.

As Otaku said MG has the best prices for the motors. I also purchased the picoVolt but it was for the one prop I didn't have time to finish so no experience with that just yet.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Fortunately, I have access to used motors. I have also sold some of these here on the Forum and passed them along at a good price for the members. Pneumatics are nice to work with and versatile.
I haven't had to order from Monster Guts, but I've heard they are good to work with.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
No question Monsterguts has the best price for what you want and I was very happy with with the motors I bought. I will buy from them again.

·
Registered
699 Posts
if you can find used motors especially locally via auto salvage places go that route, i paid 5 bucks for mine

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wow...at the local salvage yard here in a rural county in NC, they wanted $40 a piece!!!! Monsterguts, here I come!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The props will be a great help for those who want animation through-out their haunt but again I just think the price is just too high to pay that is why I shop around looking for deals that can be found at all times of the year and it really comes down to what you really want to do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Aside from customers giving me free wiper motors, monsterguts is the best place to get prop motors fast service and safe with your information.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm also trying to decide between Frightprops and Monsterguts. I have the following questions:

1) Is it just me or does the Monsterguts one run much slower using their 5 volt adapter? Like a lot of people, I just think there are a lot more uses for a slower motor and I think I want to try wiper motors first before going on to the more exotic vent motors etc. And it seems like the problem with using Picovolts or Pacemakers is that they make the motor really loud. The Monsterguts one takes another two seconds or so to make a revolution.
Here's the monsterguts video:
http://www.monsterguts.com/media/wipermotor.wmv
Here's the frightprops video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOItun0d6vg&feature=player_embedded

2) The nice thing about Frightprops is that their motors come without the ball joint on the arm. They also sell this handy two hole arm which would be key to have if one is trying to lengthen the spinning arm.
http://www.frightprops.com/electric-motors-1/linkage/shaft-arm-with-2-mounting-holes-0955-link-arm2.html
Are there comparable solutions for either of these two issues (ball joint & extending the arm) with the Monsterguts motor?

3) Both companies sell brackets but the Monsterguts one has the holes that you would use to attach the bracket to the wall on the INSIDE of the bracket (the arm curls underneath). How are you supposed to reach them with a screwdriver to put screws in there because you can't get a straight shot at the hole? That seems like a major disadvantage versus the Frightprops one (and the hauntedparts bracket has the same issue)

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
The MG motor mount has 4 holes in the top of the bracket (the side that the motor attaches to) that allow you to insert a screwdriver. Otherwise, you're right - it'd be a pain to use.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,793 Posts
I actually prefer the turned in mounting feet. This arrangement allows you to mount the motor right up against something without worrying about the mounting feet getting in your way. It is very easy to get straight on to the screw holes with the provided access holes. All that is needed is a slightly longer extension bit or even a standard screwdriver works fine. I also like the fact that you can access the mounting holes with or without the motor in the bracket.

I'm about ready to start another wiper motor driven prop using a hauntedparts.com bracket and I will post some pictures once I get it mounted. I am looking forward to seeing your new brackets.

Our customers have had no 'issue' with mounting the hauntedparts.com wiper motor bracket because the screwdriver slots / holes are directly above the mounting holes. Check out our customer product reviews on halloween forum or order one and give it a try. Just use a cordless drill with a bit extension or a longer bit like in the attached picture. All hardware stores sell them. Or pre drill the holes and use your hand screwdriver to install the screws. Our bracket dimensions are 5" long x 2.5" wide x 3" tall. The brackets can be mounted in a horizontal or vertical position, not just "wall mounted". We will be rolling out an L bracket and a flat bracket to meet several wiper motor mounting needs. www.hauntedparts.com

View attachment 113801

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've personally used HauntedParts' brackets, and let me say, it couldn't be simpler to mount with the right tools. Just use a bit extension...Mounting the bracket should be the least of someone's build-worry...I've never had any issues with the HP brackets and they have out-performed my expectations (believe me, I stressed tested the hell out of it)...The bracket is rock-solid, and I like the fact that it is powder-coated, especially since the mechanisms I build are used mostly outside, so they need to be rust-proof. I build pneumatic mechanisms mainly, but I've built several motor-driven mechanisms using various mounts, and HauntedParts mounting bracket is by far my top choice. Highly recommended. If anyone is having issues or needs guidance, Ted over at Hauntedparts is extremely helpful and a super nice guy, or you can message me for advice as well....I build mechanisms for a commercial haunt here in New Orleans, so I need to use parts that perform top notch!

Happy Haunting!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks to all the bracket comments, guys. I understand now.

Anybody have a reaction to my observation that the frightprops motor seems faster than the monsterguts one at the same voltage? So different wiper motor brands run at different speeds with same power supply?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts