Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have a good way of attaching an arm to a basic wiper motor like you would get on monster guts? I need a longer arm than the ones provided. I've tried attaching metal bars that I have drilled a hole in. Then I will use washers and a nut and hope to get enough compression to hold the arm in place without it slipping. That doesn't always cut it though. I see videos all the time of different props using these motors but nothing about attaching the arm. Thanks!

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,420 Posts
If the mounting shaft has flats on it I would drill 2 holes slightly smaller then the thickness of the shaft and then file the hole to match the shaft. If the original crank arm still works you could weld or get the correct length bars welded on the crank. What are you trying to make move with this motor?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Don't use a flat washer, use a lock washer. They have grooves carved in one side that grab onto the metal and resist twisting. They should be available at any hardware store.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Better than a lock washer is a serrated flange nut. I use them on all my wiper motors and have never had any come loose. Also the shaft on wiper motors are flared so drill the holes slightly bigger than the threaded portion but smaller than the shaft. take a file and flare the hole. This way the flange nut will hold it in place and remain tight.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,740 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I use these motors for all kinds of things of varying weight, torque and motion. I should have thought of a lock washer. I'll have to grab a flange nut and try that too. Diabolik, thats exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
We have them in 4 and 6 inch lengths. Bent exactly like the original arms and we punch teeth into the underside to provide additional grip. As Mapleton stated, always use a serrated flange nut. ;)

http://www.spiderhillpropworks.com/6-Inch-Wiper-Motor-Drive-Arm_p_54.html

http://www.spiderhillpropworks.com/4-Inch-Wiper-Motor-Drive-Arm_p_53.html

Ryan
Hey Diabolik,

Any idea what MG is using for their Wiper Motor shaft extension? They are sold out, but I would think these parts could be found at a hardware store. I checked your site but didn't see them.

Thanks!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,740 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is a threaded rod coupler with threaded rod stock and 2 split nut with washers. I believe the wiper motor is 1/4 inch but I have seen 3/8. The arm can be created from steel or aluminum stock.
We use Fright Props motors in all of our kits. Their motors use an 8mm x 1.25 nut. Monster Guts motors were always smaller. If nothing has changed their motors use a 6mm x 1.0 nut. You are definitely looking for something metric.

Bolt depot has metric couplers and metric all thread.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Threaded_rod_Zinc_plated_steel_6mm_x_1.0mm.aspx

Hope that helps some. :)
Great! Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts