Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im getting ready to order my wiper motor from MG and was wondering what kind of gears/sprockets can I attach to it? I want to make a skelly bbq with a rotisserie action. almost all the pics I find show people just using what looks to be bicycle gears and a chain.....is there something a little easier to find and use? im not too keen on finding a bike to tear apart for two things. so can someone point me to gears that I can attach easily to the wiper motor or ideas on what to use instead?
thanks.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,787 Posts
I think you would be fine to use a wiper motor, but rather than complicate your build, you might consider attaching your spit right to the wiper motor and just slowing it down with a PWM speed controller. You can get one on EBay for about $5. As long as you support it on both ends the wiper motor should have plenty of grunt to get it done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at rotisserie motors but all I found seemed to start at 50$ and no gears, just a motor. the MG comes with a power supply and speed control for 70$. I like the idea of using the wiper motor because I can then get my own gears grinding (in my head) on how to use it for other projects.
and I would attach directly to the spit but I want to have both ends rotating also (a "handle" and a "spear-head").

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I looked at rotisserie motors but all I found seemed to start at 50$ and no gears, just a motor. the MG comes with a power supply and speed control for 70$. I like the idea of using the wiper motor because I can then get my own gears grinding (in my head) on how to use it for other projects.
and I would attach directly to the spit but I want to have both ends rotating also (a "handle" and a "spear-head").
Lots of choices on ebay for a lot less. Rotisserie motors don't need any gears, just connect directly to the shaft. Here's one for $25 including shipping.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Jenn-Air-Roti...8-Fast-Free-Shipping-/172066374782?nav=SEARCH

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,465 Posts
To answer your original question of where to get gears/sprockets and chain, I've used http://www.mcmaster.com/#roller-chain-sprockets/=10svg06 and https://www.servocity.com/ with a lot of success. Mcmaster-Carr has a great assortment of parts ,the shipping is usually pretty fast and the prices are reasonable. Servo City is geared more to the R/C world ,although they have come out with some products that are getting away from that . They too are reasonably priced and offer fast shipping. Good luck with your project .

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,787 Posts
Gotcha. To achieve that you might need to use a chain/sprockets. For your wiper motor I would search for a hub less plate sprocket. If you get the right bore, you can likely bolt it right onto your wiper motor without much fuss. For the spit you will just need 2 flange or pillow block bearings and a second sprocket with a set screw type hub. Just make sure the bearings and sprocket for the spit have the same bore and that your 2 sprockets are the same chain size. For the spit itself, I would use solid steel round stock. It will be a true size and should fit your components nicely. Steel tubing will not be an exact size and will likely need machined. We just went through that on a project and it was a PIA. www.surpluscenter.com has a lot of these parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes the servocity and surpluscenter both have what I was picturing in my mind. thankyou all. I will post a pic of finished prop (although I tend to move a lot slower on prop building than others on here- including this one, I have two new additions for this year and it'll prob take til oct to finish em).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts