Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting to realize this one ever since I saw Bobzilla's talking parrot from about 5 years ago. Started to go the arduino route, but once you add in the H-bridge motor driver and audio board, it is cheaper to go RaspberryPi. Once I had the motor driving down, I was going to use vixen to sync the words to the movement, that would mean tediously formatting each track. While browsing the interwebs found the LightShowPi group that uses an algorithm to sync lights to music. By customizing the channels, I was able to get a fairly reasonable approximation of beak movement to audio. Using LightShowPi, I can easily make him say whatever phrase I want; currently he has most of the WDW POTC Barker bird phrases, some penguins of Madagascar, and a few songs. I also got him linked up to an ir remote for activation. Still needs refinement, maybe bluetooth for phone control, a randomizer for unattended use and definitely a costume or undead makeover, but he is getting there.

2016-05-03 09.44.34.jpg

·
Registered
14,231 Posts
As soon as I saw Squawkers in the title knew to check in...bought one finally myself a few years back after seeing Bobzilla's! I think the syncing looks great. Love to see a tutorial at some point. Hubby's played with Arduino a little (for halloween purposes) so not sure he's want to venture into Raspberry pi now, but love to see your board set up just in case.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I've never seen the inner works in one of these, is the beak driven with a motor? If so, does it have a spring return or does the motor drive forward and reverse?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks all, especially the great Bobzilla. The beak is motor/cam driven with spring return. There are only two motors in Squawkers, one drives the body motions and one drives beak/eyes. Beak motor one direction opens beak, reverse direction blinks eyes. I don't have eye motion yet, as there is a limit switch and if the cam doesn't get back to proper position beak might not open next operation.

Teardown of a Squawkers documented by Mr. Droopy Drawers on flickr. https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157637653178033

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Super impresive Beaver State Rich; I'm game how did you implement such a synchronized display of four birds, if you don't mind sharing. That kind of display is what I am shooting for as I already a couple other Squawkers standing by. I see from your early test video you are syncing with the tune by flipping power on/off. I am guessing you are software controlling relays to cycle power. Then do you build your sync script in vixen or such to drive the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXRgxG8LTcU

If you want to do what I did above the hack takes about 5 min and $3. You don't even have to undress the bird all the way.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Sounds like my Jemmy Talk jaw sync controller might work nicely for this. Nicely done BTW!
I never thought about that J-man. I have one of these. I wonder how hard it would be to convert. You know I'm a sucker for those Jemmy talks. I just told my wife how I wish I could do something like this with mine. I really like how this turned out PirateDex. I'm a sucker for all things pirate. Great job! You have some nice skills to be able to figure out how to hack squakers. **edit** just saw your tear down link. Never mind on that part. Thx.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I never thought about that J-man. I have one of these. I wonder how hard it would be to convert. You know I'm a sucker for those Jemmy talks. I just told my wife how I wish I could do something like this with mine. I really like how this turned out PirateDex. I'm a sucker for all things pirate. Great job! You have some nice skills to be able to figure out how to hack squakers.
I'm gonna have to get my hands on a Squawkers and try the Jemmy Talk, it should work.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm gonna have to get my hands on a Squawkers and try the Jemmy Talk, it should work.
J-Man, it should work, beak motor takes 5-6 volts, not much amperage as it is normally 4 AA batteries. I really did consider your Jemmy Talk board, but had always wanted to try out a Raspberry pi and figured it was a good excuse.

sent from my Galaxy S5 with tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I would love to hack mine. I wonder where the Jemmy talk would go and what kind of motor reaction I would get with my own dialogue. PirateDex do you have any pictures of him opened up? Is there any room in there for a board? Or would everything need to be external? Either way I'm intrigued. I love squakers and would like to automate him, and free him from the remote that it comes with. I found myself triggering most of the time when I wanted him to go off.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
If there's no room for the Jemmy Talk it would be easy to just remote mount it somewhere and extend the wires. I'll have to see if I can pick one up on ebay for cheap.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If there's no room for the Jemmy Talk it would be easy to just remote mount it somewhere and extend the wires. I'll have to see if I can pick one up on ebay for cheap.
Or I could just send you mine....lol....I looked at those pictures and I'm pretty intimidated by all those wires. I do think an external board and power would make it easier to maintain though. Taking all that apart to change a battery might be cumbersome.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Thanks for the offer J-man. Just might take you up on that. Do you think the body movement and eyes will still work? I know you would have to look at it but I like those characteristics of him. I'm looking to see what kind of audio I can find for him if I do get him converted.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Danski, J-Man;

You could fit the board in there with removal of the other board or maybe in the battery compartment (size of 4 AA batteries 2x2). I have my raspberry pi external for now, but if I can finally score a pi-zero then would go internal. You could use the internal speaker, but only if you hack the very tiny internal amp board as I see the Jemmy talk board requires powered speaker.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Thanks for the offer J-man. Just might take you up on that. Do you think the body movement and eyes will still work? I know you would have to look at it but I like those characteristics of him. I'm looking to see what kind of audio I can find for him if I do get him converted.
I would have to look at how everything is wired and controlled, I agree, you would want the other body movements for sure.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts