Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at building a winter crypt, where a body is stored over winter waiting for the ground thaws so I can be buried. the picture is one from a cemetery near me. It is made from flagstone. I’m looking at making it from sheets of foam. However I want to get some depth to the ”stones” so it doesn’t look so flat. Any suggestions? I will probably monster mud and paint it afterwards.

Plant Plant community Wood Terrestrial plant Tree

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,516 Posts
Thank you for posting the photo as I didn't know such a thing existed.

As for depth? Are you meaning how to make it look like it goes into the ground several feet or the stones on the outside?

I'd probably make a box 18 - 24" wide for the crypt and glue/attach thin sheets of foam inside for the shelves. I'd then use foam scraps to replicate the stones on the outside. If you have an available bank for the crypt to rest you're lucky. If not you can replicate one with bags of top soil, bags of leaves, or some burlap or a sheet arranged to look like one.

Do keep us updated as I'd love to see the outcome.

·
Registered
Prop Building
164 Posts
If you are looking for thicker EPS Styrofoam, check the local garage sale sites for "Roofmate" styrofoam. it's 4" thick and comes in 2x4 sheets, almost perfect for your project. I see it come up semi frequently for around $10 per sheet. Would be amazing to use a projector and some Semi-transparent fabric to have something moving inside every one in a while. Such a great idea and I never knew a winter crypt existed and I am totally intrigued!

·
Registered
9 Posts
"As for depth? Are you meaning how to make it look like it goes into the ground several feet or the stones on the outside?"

I had the same question. If you're looking to deepen the chamber, you could always build it half as deep as you want it and put a mirror against the back wall, effectively "doubling" its visual depth, or do the mirror/one-way mirror trick and you get an infinity tunnel.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the confusion. By saying I want to give it depth I’m talking about the stones themselves. I could carve lines in a sheet of foam to make it look like bricks, but they are all flush. The flagstone stack has pieces sticking out further then other rocks. I’d rather not cut a sheet of feoam up into individual stones and glue them together as that sounds like a ton of work.

·
Registered
Traditional and scary
67 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. By saying I want to give it depth I’m talking about the stones themselves. I could carve lines in a sheet of foam to make it look like bricks, but they are all flush. The flagstone stack has pieces sticking out further then other rocks. I’d rather not cut a sheet of feoam up into individual stones and glue them together as that sounds like a ton of work.
Just glue scraps of foam or wood in varying thicknesses to the sheet of foam.

I used to run a cemetery. That building is actually called a Receiving Vault. Nowadays they use ground thawing devices. Here's another take on one just to give you some ideas. I found this along the roadside in an old cemetery. The inside was plastered with concrete in an arched configuration, which you can just make out at the top of the door.

House Grass Wood Rural area Tints and shades

1 - 8 of 8 Posts