Halloween Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow, you have a lot of patience. The feathers on that bird are stunning. Some people (like me) would just go buy plastic ravens, but all the DIY work you're putting into this will really make your props unique.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
been busy, got some other things going to, for this one though, got started adding detail with paper mache clay to the feet and underside of the crow,
Beak Feather Galliformes Tail Bird

I got some strip mache added to the chest areas to add structural support, and started adding the clay to the fingers and neck, but don't have images of that yet (that's just masking tape in image below). It is my main focus for today so i will get images of that when it is done,
Art Hat Gas Sculpture Machine

i also decide that the lower portion of the cloak is going to stay on the base when this comes apart so I added a chicken wire form for it.
Gas Waste Bin bag Picture frame Art

i also made a plan for the scythe

Plant Font Twig Symbol Monochrome photography

I have this entire week off from work to focus on getting this done or at least further along.....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
i got started on the wings. my first thought when i conceived of this idea was to use EVA foam sheets to create individual feathers, but i thought that the sheets of foam that were large enough to create the longest primary feathers was prohibitively costly, and I didn't like the idea of having seams to deal with where smaller pieces were joined so i came up with the idea to use 2 laminated layers of some thick weed control fabric with a piece of wire in the center to add rigidity and also to act as the rib that feathers have. The plan worked out quite well......except for the part where i got impatient with the length of time it was taking for the glue to dry, that i used to stick the layer together. Originally, I used the same paste as i used for my paper strip mache, which is equal parts by volume of water, flour, cornstarch, glue and joint compound and then however much water is needed to thin it so it;s spreadable. came out great and very stiff, it just took all day and overnight to dry enough to continue, so i decided to try using liquid nails. it also worked very well, but a whole tube was only enough to do like 3 or 4 feathers i think, and i needed to make at least 20 of them, and still took HOURS to dry. SO I thought I'll use contact cement. it won;t add the stiffness that the other 2 dis but it will be ready to handle, cut and install in MINUTES, not hours. And it did indeed cut time down significantly......HOWEVER, the fabric absorbed the cement so much that it wouldn't stick so a second layer had to be added, and both layers needed to be put on so thick that I only wound up with 6-7 feather out of an entire quart can, and that stuff is NASTY to work with. but in my impatience and panic at wanting to get this thing done before Haloween, i bought a SECOND can and proceeded. so after all that i still wound up about 6 feathers short of the minimum I needed and resorted back to the homemade paste method, which turns out has yielded the best result and was the least expensive option. Lesson learned here, so at least it was not for nothing, but I was hoping they would be completely done by now...SIGH in the ed, i don't know how much less i came out than had i just bought the foam, but i am happy with the result thus far so onward........

Wood Toy airplane Automotive design Aircraft Floor
Automotive tire Bumper Road surface Wood Automotive exterior
Wood Line Automotive exterior Gas Bumper
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Floor Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt Bumper
Textile Sleeve Grey Collar Blazer
Sleeve Wood Animal product Knife Tin can
World Art Event Fun Fashion design

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I will get it done, I will get it done, I will get it done, I will get it done, I will get it done, I will get it done, I will get it done, I will get it done, I will get it done, I will get it done...... If i repeat it enough, it will make it true right? If seems to work for politics..... anyway so I got the robe started, Burlap and paste to stiffen for now, and as you can see in the second photo, progress on the scythe

Sculpture Gas Art Artifact Chair
Grey Floor Cabinetry Art Flooring

for the scythe i took the skull from the failed silicone molding fiasco and cut in in half, and glued it so the blade, which is attached to the upper part of the neck with some bolts

Jaw Skull Bone Artifact Finger
Gesture Finger Glove Wood Art

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Still not done, but I have yet to hit my record for being closest to Halloween before finishing. That distinction goes to one i did in 2007 and didn't get it done until Oct. 28th. and even then after i put it out in my yard, i tweaked it a bit. Anyway, this will be the last in progress post. I have started painting a few parts but have to wait for the stuff on the skeleton's robe to fully harden before i proceed with that. anyway here are the last progress images.

Wings done, ready to paint.

Bird Beak Feather Flag Parrot

Crow done, varnished drying then ready to paint

Bird Beak Purple Phasianidae Galliformes

made some armor out of foam floor mats. had to compromise on my intention for this just to simplify to get it done.
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Tread

Tire Wheel Bicycle Plant Bicycle wheel

made a belt for it, again I compromised for a simpler faster design. I don't have any photos of it done but basic construction is here: Double thickness of fun foam sheets for the individual pieces

Leaf Purple Art Triangle Pink

I glued the pieces to a left over strip of stiffened landscape fabric from making the feathers. ran out of sheets of fun foam and didn't want to run out for more so pieced them together on the back where it won't be seen. there are 2 belts with buckles (fake ones) going around the front of this also and then some, sorry don't know the actual name of them but some of the large leather protection strips than hang down from the belt, again made of the landscape fabric.

Light Black Wood Yellow Line

Next post will be pics of the finished project, unless i take a few more images in progress, then i might include those at the end.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Okay so I lied. I am up to my neck in painting. Everything is wet and has to dry before proceeding so I thought I'd do this during down time. Also, I officially have beaten my record for closest to Halloween before finishing. so here are some sneak peaks of the paint job. I painted everything flat black, then gave the parts that are going to be bronze it a quick spritz of metallic brown spray paint
Head Jaw Statue Wood Sculpture

Once dry I started on some acrylic patina washes and drips

Outerwear Wood Personal protective equipment Electric blue Plastic

Jaw Bone Wood Skull Art

Bird Blue Beak Organism Wood

For the base, after distressing the foam and wood parts, I just did a flat black base coat, then a light gray dry brush, then some thin spray washes for preliminary dirty look.. I also put in some faint marble veining.

Pedestal Sculpture Art Gas Font

Wood Gas Art Font Lantern

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I forget who it is oft attributed to but the saying a work is never really finished just abandoned or some **** like that. So is the case with this project. I could spend a few more days really bringing the paint job to a higher level and there are a few structural things that bug me but I am calling it quits. On to the next project..........
Hand Sculpture Statue Tree Temple
Plant Leaf Botany Water Building

Temple Gesture Sculpture Cool Art

Sky Sculpture Statue Tree Art

·
Registered
560 Posts
I forget who it is oft attributed to but the saying a work is never really finished just abandoned or some **** like that. So is the case with this project. I could spend a few more days really bringing the paint job to a higher level and there are a few structural things that bug me but I am calling it quits. On to the next project.......... View attachment 756247 View attachment 756248
View attachment 756245
View attachment 756246
Beyond amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your creative process with us as well! Please post some night photos with it lit up if you have a chance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks so majestic.

I feel myself identifying with the other skeleton, though. It’s like he’s saying “Just looking at that other guy makes me tired. I think I’ll just sit here with my gourds.”

21 - 40 of 46 Posts