Halloween Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run Windows at home and was horrified to discover Windows Media Player (WMP) prohibits me from ripping one of my own audio CDs more than once! It seems to have retain a memory of which CDs you've ripped and then imposes the One Time Only rip rule. Annoying. I buy a lot of Halloween sound effects CDs in thrift stores and sometimes like to rip to MP3 more than once, like if I've misplaced the ripped tracks (has happened more than once, also with music CDs). Was also horrified to discover that my beloved VLC doesn't seem to rip CDs to MP3s at all. I generally avoid WMP and use VLC as much as possible.

So, what are some free (and downloadable from a given site without any Malware or Adware) or cheap Windows software products that will do what I need?

I've worked with different flavors of *nix Operating Systems since the early 90's and so am not afraid or averse to using Linux audio software than anyone might recommend. But with Windows being so fickle, I'd want a Linux Live CD / DVD with audio software on it so I wouldn't have to install Linux permanently, even as a dual-boot, on my Win7 laptop (my primary machine) and my newer Win8 Desktop machine (haven't booted the thing in months...).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wow Mike! I wasn't even aware of the limitations in the windows system. I ripped all of my cds back in the Vista days and never had any problems. I used audio grabber but don't think that it is available any longer..
Check out this link to an open source alternative to wmp

http://cdex.mu/features

I have never used it personally but I have had lots of luck with open source...

·
black light queen
2,639 Posts
exact audio copy is still around, although i haven't used it for a while

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/

from their web site:
Exact Audio Copy is a so called audio grabber for audio CDs using standard CD and DVD-ROM drives. The main differences between EAC and most other audio grabbers are :

It is free (for non-commercial purposes)
It works with a technology, which reads audio CDs almost perfectly. If there are any errors that can’t be corrected, it will tell you on which time position the (possible) distortion occurred, so you could easily control it with e.g. the media player

With other audio grabbers you usually need to listen to every grabbed wave because they only do jitter correction. Scratched CDs read on CD-ROM drives often produce distortions. But listening to every extracted audio track is a waste of time. Exact Audio Copy conquer these problems by making use of several technologies like multi-reading with verify and AccurateRip.

amk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts