Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding windows in a haunted house. The space I have to use has a LOT of windows. We have been using black painters plastic but that tends to still let some light in when we have our daytime hours. The other problem I have is with our plastic falling in the middle of the evening. What is the best way to temporarily black out a window in a haunt? I tried not having day time hours but with the short ammount of time we have (we are only open 2-3 days a season) we have to have daytime hours to facilitate our crowd.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is a black plastic tarp that construction workers use to block out windows. I suspect our landlord uses it to keep the city from looking in during the construction.
I've only seen it in a rather large roll (25'x10') but you might find it is small rolls. I've purchased it from HomeDepot but I'm sure any major home improvement store would carry it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What about spraying the windows with black colored liquid latex, maybe a few coats worth, then it would just peel off when you want to remove it.
I was a co-owner of a commercial haunted house and we were able to just spray paint the windows black. I know this is not an option for everyone.

:D

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
This might be a little to extream but some people actually paint there windows black. I don't know what kind of paint they use but it has been done. I'll check around and see If I can find anything out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, the black construction workers plastic is what we use right now but like I said it tends to fall and it lets light in if you don't attach it just right. I'll look into the paint option as well.

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
How about getting some large cardboard boxes from an appliance store and cutting the cardboard to fit the windows tightly. Tape around the edges with some duct tape.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,672 Posts
When I was a teen, we used roofing tarpaper to black out the windows. It's pretty stiff, but not bulky like cardboard, and can easily be cut to size. It will definitely block out the light.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
I agree with the tar paper but you could double up on the black plastic. I've never had it to come down but I use a hammer tacker and plenty of staples. You might could use black poster board. I've used it in some situations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts