Halloween Forum banner

101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have 4 total projectors- 2 I got as gifts and 2 off EBAY- 2 off EBAY cost me $105 total- one is an Epsom Powelite 83C and the other is an Infocus one- both about 2200 LUMS- work just as good as the 2 new ones- if you do some research you can get a good deal- the ones I got from EBAY I have had a few years and they have gotten a lot of use.
heres to 2 I got off Ebay in action- using cheap frosted shower curtain in my large front Bay window

·
Registered
1 Posts
I keep seeing posts about buying projectors for window animations, and wanted to add my dos centavos worth on buying them because I see a lot of what I think is bad information.

I started doing projections three years ago. I've done them in a bedroom window and in our dining room. I project the video onto a frosted Walmart shower curtain, from about ten feet away, which is about how far most people can place a projector from a screen in most smaller rooms.

One concern that I have is I keep seeing people wanting to buy high-end corporate/business type projectors. These are awesome projectors, but they are not designed for our purposes. They are designed to project a bright, colorful, high-res image over a long distance (20-30 ft) in a brightly-lit conference room on a year round basis. We are usually projecting a relatively low-color med-res image a short distance (8-10ft) in a darkened room for a month or less. We don't really need the power or durability of a commercial professional projector.

Another concern that I have is when you project onto a window screen, you are lighting it up. Even though the makers of the videos try to keep them high contrast so the image you want visible on the screen is emphasized and the backgrounds are de-emphasized, the fact is when you dump a lot of light into a dark room, it's going to show on the screen, and that's going to be seen from outside. What we really need is a projector that has enough power to clearly show the image we want on the screen, but not be so bright that it lights up the room and screen and makes the window appear white/grey or un-naturally bright.

This is why I've used the cheaper low-grade, entry-level, I'll call them kids projectors for window use. These aren't all that bright, and would never work well in a home theater setting, but they work awesome for projecting an image on a window screen without being too bright, and they are much less expensive than professional business projectors.

Now, if you're projecting outside, over long distances, a business projector probably fits the bill, but for projecting indoors on a window screen, my opinion is lower power is better.

I disagree strongly. I am using my Sony 4K projector and it's amazing. The $300 projectors & shower curtains looked ok in the past. HD media = much more realistic images. I've had 5 others with shower curtain systems fixated on mine since last week. Try it before you knock it

·
Registered
52 Posts
On halloween night, all the kids and adults are so amazed of the atmosfx window projection, taking pictures before they come up to the porch for their candies, chocolates.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I disagree strongly. I am using my Sony 4K projector and it's amazing. The $300 projectors & shower curtains looked ok in the past. HD media = much more realistic images. I've had 5 others with shower curtain systems fixated on mine since last week. Try it before you knock it
You left out a piece of the puzzle. Your post seems to indicate that you don't like shower curtains as your projection screen. Please tell us what you use as a projection screen.

I used a frosted shower curtain with a layer of black chiffon. Great image. The chiffon hid the white of the shower curtain and gave the appearance of a blacked out room.

Had an Epson business projector in one window and a JVC home theater projector on the other.

Video clips to follow...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi! Did you put the frosted shower curtain first facing the projector then the black chiffon? I used the Carl's gray rear projection film and i love it, moderately expensive though but its very good with no spotlight from the projector. Only thing, i have short distance between the window and the projector that the whole window was not fully covered by the atmosfx video clips so i can visibly see the rectangular frame or edges which i want to darken them. And i did using a cardboard. But the idea of layering the projection screen/film with a black chiffon is a good idea. But i wonder if it works with my vinyl gray rear projection film, if its not too dark though my epson has 4000 lumens projecting brighter result. I did all the set up myself, my hubby got all the praises and compliments hahahah! i did the sound system also cracked the window a little bit for my speakers. All in all, very successful video show and halloween eve! The trick or treaters were very amazed, just kept saying "wow" and thrilled. I got a devil's laugh playing continuously in my porch thru my celfone that hid under my props. The windowfx projector was projected through our main door. It did not give a very sharp pictures like the epson but still appeared to be spooky enough for my little treaters! Finished 2 and 3/4 large bags of assorted chocolates to my trick or treaters! Can't wait for next halloween. Maybe im going to buy another used cheaper projector this time for another window projection. :) Here is another sample of my video

You left out a piece of the puzzle. Your post seems to indicate that you don't like shower curtains as your projection screen. Please tell us what you use as a projection screen.

I used a frosted shower curtain with a layer of black chiffon. Great image. The chiffon hid the white of the shower curtain and gave the appearance of a blacked out room.

Had an Epson business projector in one window and a JVC home theater projector on the other.

Video clips to follow...

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've been following this thread sinece it's beginning. Thought I'd post my attempt at this effect. I used a UC40 (800x600 native res) LED projector on a 72" x 70" white dollar store shower curtain. I'm fairly happy with the results considering this is my first try.

This short and very rough video clip shows one of AtmosFearFX's Bone Chillers clips:

Along with my singing pumpkins using videos from www.thesingingpumpkin.com

Incidentally, at approximately 1:40 minutes into the video, you can just barely make out the "Ghost-steps" flash software. My 16 yr old son hijacked my window projector and ran a test. We definitely needed a brighter projector for that one and maybe even a better, flatter surface...Hmmmm... next year...

Two criticisms of the UC40 projector were that it continually showed the letters "UNIC" in the top corner of the projection and there appeared to be nowhere to "flip" the video backwards for rear projection. I had to use editing software to do it (not a huge problem by any means).

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I'm afraid you totally missed the point of this thread Bermise. :) There are always better ways to do things. Always. I hear many folks wailing about the logistical difficulties of FCGs that all could be avoided if they built FLGs instead. Many folks wail about the un-reinforced Wally skeletons falling apart, which could be fixed by getting the newer wired skeletons. Anything we do could be done better. But the point of this thread is people were getting sold on the notion that they have to use a high-end, high-power, high-cost projector to get a projection on a window, and this is definitely not true.

You're trying to pitch the idea that folks should go out and by a Ferrari to go grocery shopping. Yes, a Ferrari will get the attention of some people, and yes, it can be used to get groceries, but is it needed? Is the benefit worth all the added expense, or will that added expense push the ability to even do said activity out of the realm of possibility or practicality?

Yes, HD video, professional reverse screens, and ultra-high-end projectors will yield a top-flight viewing experience. No one is knocking that. But what is getting knocked is the idea that nothing short of your "Ferrari-esque" solution is acceptable. Anyone can get a perfectly acceptable projection experience from a low-cost, low-power, projector and a shower curtain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stupid question....if I project this into my living room bay window, can I still be in that room with the lights on doing other things for it to be visible to outsiders on the street?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, HD video, professional reverse screens, and ultra-high-end projectors will yield a top-flight viewing experience. No one is knocking that. But what is getting knocked is the idea that nothing short of your "Ferrari-esque" solution is acceptable. Anyone can get a perfectly acceptable projection experience from a low-cost, low-power, projector and a shower curtain.
Well I'm glad you cleared that up. Your original post stated that office projectors are too bright and not the right pick for Halloween projections... Which we all know is totally false.

Additionally, you don't have to pay $300 for a good quality business projector. You can find lots of nice used projectors with low hours for $40 - $100. Ironically the same price range as the cheap "toy" projectors.

Besides, many of us are using these for different applications (window, wall, hologram) and different environments (indoor, outdoor, streetlights, pitch black) so there is really no single solution for everything.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Greetings fellow haunters-
I tried this year with the AtmosFX window kit and it was sorely disappointing, mainly due to the 'kit' projector. I ended up borrowing a nicer projector for Halloween night which made it a bit better.

My question is: Next year I would like to set up the screen in the garage. I have (2) bays and want to have a separate screen in each. Each bay is 8' tall by 9' wide.The only thing I can find that will fit the entire area is a king size sheet.

Any recommendations on a projector (understanding I will need 2) in the $150 range to accomplish this task?.......and perhaps any suggestions for the screen?

cheers

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just keep an eye out for projectors. I have bought 3 of them off of ebay and or amazon. I've never paid more than $75 for one and they certainly get the job done. Anything above 1800 lumens and you are good to go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any recommendations on a projector (understanding I will need 2) in the $150 range to accomplish this task?.......and perhaps any suggestions for the screen?

cheers
Screen: I would look for 3-4 mil white plastic sheeting. Usually comes in 8x25 or 8x20 sizes.

Projector: this is the tricky part. Check out the Epson PowerLite projectors on eBay. Look the ones you are interested in up on projectorcentral.com for specs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows what the Atmos FX projector lumens is rated for. I purchased the package deal (projector, tripod, window matetial, preloaded SD) a month ago. I know it says 150 lux but is that relatively equivalent to lumens? Is there a huge difference in the Atmos FX projection material (sheet) and Atmos FX professional projection material? Finally, do most projectors come standard with loop/repeat function? Was looking for something a little brighter/crisper. Was thinking about the DG 747 but am wondering if that high lumen count may be too much for what I'm trying to pull off (animation on second floor vertical window). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Glad I found this site and thread. Great stuff and exactly what I was looking for!

·
Registered
84 Posts
J
Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows what the Atmos FX projector lumens is rated for. I purchased the package deal (projector, tripod, window matetial, preloaded SD) a month ago. I know it says 150 lux but is that relatively equivalent to lumens? Is there a huge difference in the Atmos FX projection material (sheet) and Atmos FX professional projection material? Finally, do most projectors come standard with loop/repeat function? Was looking for something a little brighter/crisper. Was thinking about the DG 747 but am wondering if that high lumen count may be too much for what I'm trying to pull off (animation on second floor vertical window). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Glad I found this site and thread. Great stuff and exactly what I was looking for!
I bought the kit and was good for Halloween, not very bright but I wanted something a bit brighter for my Xmas projections and bought an Epson powerlite 84 used on eBay and happy with it. I will keep the other kit too as it worked good for the Halloween stuff so now will have two projectors. Alot of the projectors don't have the loop function with usb drive, you would have to buy a micca speck to do that or DVD player. The good thing about the atmos projector is it is plug and play which is very easy. As far as material for Halloween bought grey chiffon from Joanne fabric which worked great. The white curtain that came with the kit I am using for my Xmas projections and works nicely on a built window frame which I stuck in the window. My Epsom is 2600 lumens and didn't find it to be too much for the Xmas clips. Looking back if I knew what I know now would have just bought the better projector to begin with but like I said, it is good for the Halloween clips.

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Go on eBay and set up a search with the parameters you need (lumens, price range, etc). If you don't get any satisfactory returns immediately, click on "FOLLOW THIS SEARCH" (in green letters near the top of the page). eBay will notify you via email whenever there is a new listing that conforms to the search parameters you set up.

I've never used a bed sheet for a screen but I've heard some forum members do and were pleased with the results. I agree with littlebuzz that white plastic sheeting is also worth a try. I only recommend chiffon for hologram-like projections from videos like Ghostly Apparitions and Phantasms. If using "normal" images like Zombie Invasion or Night Stalkers, stick with a solid screen.

The AtmosfearFX kit is apparently set up as an all-in-one unit that both plays and projects the video, but looping is not normally a function of the projector itself. The projector simply projects whatever image you feed into it. Looping would need to be set up at the video source such as a DVD player, laptop, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks guys. At first I was happy with the Atmos FX package but I began to realize it just wasn't bright and crisp enough for me. Guess I saw it coming based on price. The fact that I got the SD with 8 preloaded animations was the only plus. I ended up building up a decent library of $10 animations on the SD so I think I'm going to go the micca speck/USB route. Anyone have any input on the micca speck? I'm assuming it's pretty easy to use? I'll stop asking questions now since this is probably all retreaded material. Sorry about that, 2 sick kids and very little time to review old posts. Getting this right is turning into a pet peeve of mine. ..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks guys. At first I was happy with the Atmos FX package but I began to realize it just wasn't bright and crisp enough for me. Guess I saw it coming based on price. The fact that I got the SD with 8 preloaded animations was the only plus. I ended up building up a decent library of $10 animations on the SD so I think I'm going to go the micca speck/USB route. Anyone have any input on the micca speck? I'm assuming it's pretty easy to use? I'll stop asking questions now since this is probably all retreaded material. Sorry about that, 2 sick kids and very little time to review old posts. Getting this right is turning into a pet peeve of mine. ..
For what I paid for the kit probably not worth it. I got a nice used on for 100, micca speck for $40. I also bought a lot of additional clips so in the long run the kit wasn't the best deal. There are projectors that are cheaper, I just went according to a seller who seemed to sell a lot of the same brand projectors and with 100% feedback. Also low bulb hours is important. Yes micca speck easy to use for me and I'm no expert. I just plugged it into the projector with the provided rca cables. I also bought some new Xmas clips and very happy with the way they look with my new 2600 lumen. I also bought a movie editor/converter so I can edit some of the clips to my liking, that was $29.99 but worth it as some of my downloads needed to be in a converted format. I will be able to use this now for all of my projections.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts