Halloween Forum banner

81 - 100 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thankyou Quietman. I ran and got a cheap shower curtain and it worked pretty well. I'm going to go buy the chiffon today. I have the spirit girl from Atmos. It scared the neighbor kids so it was well worth the purchase:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wonderwall Projector Test

My DLP projector is starting to get dead pixels. Thought I would try out a Wonderwall projector $25.00 on ebay, just in case the DLP gets to many dead pixels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My DLP projector is starting to get dead pixels. Thought I would try out a Wonderwall projector $25.00 on ebay, just in case the DLP gets to many dead pixels.
This looks great! I love all your pumpkins too. If you try this projector out with the singing pumpkins please let us know it goes. I really want to get a 2nd one for pumpkins next yr.

For my Fastfox (GM 60) I actually had to turn down the brightness to 50% and then turn up the sharpness to 100%, it's really impressive and works still at dusk time too. So I am planning 2 shows 1. a Kiddie mix of a singing single pumpkin and some dancing skellies and then 2. a Scarier mix of Apparations & Ghouls

·
Registered
52 Posts
I keep seeing posts about buying projectors for window animations, and wanted to add my dos centavos worth on buying them because I see a lot of what I think is bad information.

I started doing projections three years ago. I've done them in a bedroom window and in our dining room. I project the video onto a frosted Walmart shower curtain, from about ten feet away, which is about how far most people can place a projector from a screen in most smaller rooms.

One concern that I have is I keep seeing people wanting to buy high-end corporate/business type projectors. These are awesome projectors, but they are not designed for our purposes. They are designed to project a bright, colorful, high-res image over a long distance (20-30 ft) in a brightly-lit conference room on a year round basis. We are usually projecting a relatively low-color med-res image a short distance (8-10ft) in a darkened room for a month or less. We don't really need the power or durability of a commercial professional projector.

Another concern that I have is when you project onto a window screen, you are lighting it up. Even though the makers of the videos try to keep them high contrast so the image you want visible on the screen is emphasized and the backgrounds are de-emphasized, the fact is when you dump a lot of light into a dark room, it's going to show on the screen, and that's going to be seen from outside. What we really need is a projector that has enough power to clearly show the image we want on the screen, but not be so bright that it lights up the room and screen and makes the window appear white/grey or un-naturally bright.

This is why I've used the cheaper low-grade, entry-level, I'll call them kids projectors for window use. These aren't all that bright, and would never work well in a home theater setting, but they work awesome for projecting an image on a window screen without being too bright, and they are much less expensive than professional business projectors.

Now, if you're projecting outside, over long distances, a business projector probably fits the bill, but for projecting indoors on a window screen, my opinion is lower power is better.

You are so right there! I've got this professional projector and its really really bright in a dark room, really perfect if you watch movies. I project my atmosfearfx video clips through our front window for external viewing in a very low light environment in my husband's office at home, but i can see the edges because this projector has 4000 lumens and the distance is not far enough to cover the whole window. What i did as suggestion of atmosfx website, i cut a piece of cardboard and make a square whole in the middle and place it in front of the large lens to hide the edges of the video clips and it worked well. All i have to do is add some sounds to give the thrll to my neighbors, they were so amazed and a jaw dropping halloween props. Im just having hard time how to make the sound of the small computer speakers heard outside, maybe opened the window slightly but it will distort the image of the video. Oh well, i will do some trial tomorrow. Good luck to me!

CLICK LINK: http://youtu.be/qfmrPMVOCWs Phantasm

·
Registered
251 Posts
This is one of my test videos for the AtmosfearFX. I am using the Joann Platinum chiffon. File clips are edited and spliced together using WMM to eliminate most of the black video transition between scenes. The battery-operated candles are on shelves on the wall. Usually, I have a 10W RGB LED on inside the room to help diffuse reflections on the inside ceiling, but I have it outside in this video.

No matter what I do, I still have a double-image. My chiffon is in a window frame and is close to the panes. Could this double-image be from the dual pane glass?

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is one of my test videos for the AtmosfearFX. I am using the Joann Platinum chiffon. File clips are edited and spliced together using WMM to eliminate most of the black video transition between scenes. The battery-operated candles are on shelves on the wall. Usually, I have a 10W RGB LED on inside the room to help diffuse reflections on the inside ceiling, but I have it outside in this video.

No matter what I do, I still have a double-image. My chiffon is in a window frame and is close to the panes. Could this double-image be from the dual pane glass? My projector (Epson 730HD) is pretty bright.

Wow its really nice. I love it. i use micca multimedia player, inserted my SD card, then i connected to the projector. i trial
mine too, the distance between the window and projector is not far enough to cover the whole window which sucks. and the video clip frames is visible esp. with a bright projector. Just modifying with a cardboard. i will be adjusting the brightness this time by lowering it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow its really nice. I love it. i use micca multimedia player, inserted my SD card, then i connected to the projector. i trial
mine too, the distance between the window and projector is not far enough to cover the whole window which sucks. and the video clip frames is visible esp. with a bright projector. Just modifying with a cardboard. i will be adjusting the brightness this time by lowering it.
Does your window have curtains? I am able to mask the left and right edge of the projector frame with my curtains. I am also using the Micca. I initially had each clip loaded separately on my SD card, but started getting a white flash in between files about 15 minutes into projection. In order to eliminate that, I just put them all together in WMM. Do you have that white flash with your Micca as well?

·
Registered
178 Posts
So do you think a Wonderwall projector (@1200 lumens) would work with the Atmosfearfx (which says they need 2000 lumens)? I have no knowledge of this stuff, so I'm just looking for guidance before I too go and purchase a projector that is costly and much more than I need.

I actually broke down and bought a similar projector to add to my collection. Not sure if the wonderwall is the same??? The one I got has all avi style jacks and guess what... like someone else discovered Atmosfearfx dvds are not DVD Player friendly. So far I have tried 4 and none of them will run it. Now it runs fine on my computer, but no AVI. Used to have a monitor jack that had AVI jacks on other end. Need to find it. If not then I go back to my over powered 2500 lumen. Works, just to much for what I want to do. My Mica is going to be used somewhere else, I wanted to run one of my projections off of a cell phone. Having issues getting the MP4 format to run, even though it has mp4 stuff already on it. Hate how that happens, some slight difference and they won't run.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Selecting a projector is so much more complicated than just deciding how much you want to spend. You may find a cheap toy projector that does the job or you might find it to be to blurry or dim. A few weeks back I bought my 1st projector, an Epson Powerlite 821p, for $40. Its an LCD business projector and has 2 brightness settings, 2600 lumens on high and 1900 lumens on low. It has less than 200 hours on the bulb and I think it works really well. In fact I decided I wanted to get a second one for another window. So I looked it up on eBay and found another one for a similar deal. But before I took the plunge I looked around a little more.

One thing that bothered me a little with the Epson was that black was not quite black enough. In a darkened room the black background of the projection appeared more grey. So I did a little research and learned that DLP projectors are far better at displaying black but it seemed that all the used ones I could find were plagued with dead pixels. That's when I discovered JVC D-ILA. A proprietary technology by JVC, these projectors offer the best blacks and sold for $15,000 just over 10 years ago. They have a fixed brightness setting at 1000 lumens and a contrast ratio of 600:1.

Found a DLA-G150CL on eBay for $70 with free shipping, I offered $65 and got it. Glad it was free shipping cuz this thing is huge and weighs at least 40lbs. The 1000 lumens turned out to be more than enough to shoot through a white shower curtain and a layer of black chiffon. And the projected black background was as dark as no projector at all.

I guess my point is that projector quality is very subjective. If someone says a cheap projector works great for window projections don't believe them. If someone says you have to spend between $200-300, don't believe them. It all depends on what you want your final outcome to look like. Unless you have a friend who is doing window projections and you can see their results in person, you're just going to have to experiment yourself.

Start with what you have. If you are buying your first projector, I recommend looking for a good used projector between $30-80. Make sure it has been tested as working and preferably has low lamp hours (new lamps can cost $30 and up).

This website has loads of specifications and reviews on old and new projectors. I found it very helpful when looking at available projectors on eBay.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thought I'd throw in a contribution to this great thread. I recently purchased the ABDTECH LCD projector for $90 (also goes by GM60, TRONFY, CIBEST, etc). It's only 1000 lumens and only 480p (higher rez is supported but will be downsized to that rez) BUT I think it's perfect for a window projection, singing pumpkins, etc. It has a USB and SD card slot which is great because it's one less piece of equipment to worry about eg. DVD / movie player. I haven't tried it but conceivably you could also use a Chrome or Roku stick with the HDMI slot and send video to it over WiFi. I can confirm it does have a repeat function (repeat all clips in a folder or just one) but there is 1/2 sec delay during the repeat (black screen) so you won't be able to get a seamless loop.

The built-in audio is terrible and you'll want to use the headphone jack to connect to some sort of speaker system.

From 12' away I get a surprisingly bright image that covers my two car garage door. What I dig about this little guy is that the lightsource is LED so no costly bulbs to swap out. LED's also bring down the power consumption to 50 watts!

I would never use this thing for actual TV/movie watching as the resolution is too low for my tastes BUT for Halloween purposes it's solid. I'll update in the future regarding the longterm reliability.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does your window have curtains? I am able to mask the left and right edge of the projector frame with my curtains. I am also using the Micca. I initially had each clip loaded separately on my SD card, but started getting a white flash in between files about 15 minutes into projection. In order to eliminate that, I just put them all together in WMM. Do you have that white flash with your Micca as well?
Same like mine, there is a sort of white flash microseconds in between which i don't like. Oh WMM ok let me try that too otherwise i have to edit each clip to have a pause in between which will take me forever. I don't have curtains, because we have the blinds installed only. I need to crack the window a little bit for the sound to come out too. Thank you for that tip!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thought I'd throw in a contribution to this great thread. I recently purchased the ABDTECH LCD projector for $90 (also goes by GM60, TRONFY, CIBEST, etc). It's only 1000 lumens and only 480p (higher rez is supported but will be downsized to that rez) BUT I think it's perfect for a window projection, singing pumpkins, etc. It has a USB and SD card slot which is great because it's one less piece of equipment to worry about eg. DVD / movie player. I haven't tried it but conceivably you could also use a Chrome or Roku stick with the HDMI slot and send video to it over WiFi. I can confirm it does have a repeat function (repeat all clips in a folder or just one) but there is 1/2 sec delay during the repeat (black screen) so you won't be able to get a seamless loop.

The built-in audio is terrible and you'll want to use the headphone jack to connect to some sort of speaker system.

From 12' away I get a surprisingly bright image that covers my two car garage door. What I dig about this little guy is that the lightsource is LED so no costly bulbs to swap out. LED's also bring down the power consumption to 50 watts!

I would never use this thing for actual TV/movie watching as the resolution is too low for my tastes BUT for Halloween purposes it's solid. I'll update in the future regarding the longterm reliability.
My one is epson home theater/business projector, really the resolution is superb and when i bought it, i thought its a small one a little bigger than the window fx projector but its large, heavy and wide, its a used one though. Other plan is to use for watching movie with netflix online stream. I used the small computer speakers for my sound system

Attachments

81 - 100 of 142 Posts