Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing posts about buying projectors for window animations, and wanted to add my dos centavos worth on buying them because I see a lot of what I think is bad information.

I started doing projections three years ago. I've done them in a bedroom window and in our dining room. I project the video onto a frosted Walmart shower curtain, from about ten feet away, which is about how far most people can place a projector from a screen in most smaller rooms.

One concern that I have is I keep seeing people wanting to buy high-end corporate/business type projectors. These are awesome projectors, but they are not designed for our purposes. They are designed to project a bright, colorful, high-res image over a long distance (20-30 ft) in a brightly-lit conference room on a year round basis. We are usually projecting a relatively low-color med-res image a short distance (8-10ft) in a darkened room for a month or less. We don't really need the power or durability of a commercial professional projector.

Another concern that I have is when you project onto a window screen, you are lighting it up. Even though the makers of the videos try to keep them high contrast so the image you want visible on the screen is emphasized and the backgrounds are de-emphasized, the fact is when you dump a lot of light into a dark room, it's going to show on the screen, and that's going to be seen from outside. What we really need is a projector that has enough power to clearly show the image we want on the screen, but not be so bright that it lights up the room and screen and makes the window appear white/grey or un-naturally bright.

This is why I've used the cheaper low-grade, entry-level, I'll call them kids projectors for window use. These aren't all that bright, and would never work well in a home theater setting, but they work awesome for projecting an image on a window screen without being too bright, and they are much less expensive than professional business projectors.

Now, if you're projecting outside, over long distances, a business projector probably fits the bill, but for projecting indoors on a window screen, my opinion is lower power is better.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I couldn't agree more! I have two super cheap ones and they projected 8' with a really good image (and low light as you said) onto a white curtain as you walked in my front door. I ran the skeleton reaper from the Atmosfear FX bones disc and it was awesome!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I still use the old magnifying sheet in a cardboard box mounted to a TV method. :D

The low light, soft image is just perfect for bedroom window ghosts.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Do you have any links to the projectors you are referring to?

And boo who how do you do that?

I'm looking to purchase to Atmos digital download. The one that runs $10. So I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go on ebay and search for Discover Wonderwall projector. Great place to start.

Reactions: TJN66

·
Registered
211 Posts
So do you think a Wonderwall projector (@1200 lumens) would work with the Atmosfearfx (which says they need 2000 lumens)? I have no knowledge of this stuff, so I'm just looking for guidance before I too go and purchase a projector that is costly and much more than I need.

Thank you!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thank you!

·
Registered
575 Posts
My 800x600, 500 lumen projector that I bought used on eBay back in 2009 for $56 works great for projecting my Hallowindow DVDs. Plenty bright, and the internal speaker (that's how you know it's cheap, no good projector these days has a speaker) is loud enough for the sound to reach out onto the street if I just crack the window a few inches.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks so much guys Bruzilla, JMan, etc.. for all of this helpful information and recommendations! You have all been so quick with answers and I appreciate that!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So do you think a Wonderwall projector (@1200 lumens) would work with the Atmosfearfx (which says they need 2000 lumens)? I have no knowledge of this stuff, so I'm just looking for guidance before I too go and purchase a projector that is costly and much more than I need.

Thank you!
Here's the thing you need to keep in mind. AtmosfearFX videos are meant for a range of applications. They can be projected onto interior walls, doors, etc., and onto exterior walls. In these applications, you would definitely want a brighter projector. But with windows it's a different story as the image is being projected onto a white fabric, and no matter how much you adjust the contrast, the fabric gets brighter. Also the more light in the room, the more you can see of the room through the sheet.

This is why I've found weaker projectors work better on window projections. Most folks do these in a closed room with the lights out, and the less amount of light getting put out the better. This is especially true if you can't angle the projector and it's visible from the front of the window. :(

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would this work to project onto a white garage door?
Depends on what the ambient light situation is, the distance the projector is from the door, and what you are projecting. I would guess you would need a brighter projector because a garage door-sized image would mean the projector would need to be much further away than a window-sized image. Plus there's houselights, streetlights, etc. to contend with.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thanks. We primarily want one to use in a low light room but if it could project outdoors it would be a plus. Price is definitely something I need to keep down.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Question ~ I have a 3000 lumens projector and plan on projecting on a large window. I did purchase gray tulle for a holographic effect, but haven't tried it yet. If I go with a white shower curtain for a 'non holographic" image, would placing darker fabric over the shower curtain (like black tulle) help with the "white sheet" effect?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
And boo who how do you do that?
I assemble the magnifying sheet and cardboard box as shown in this demo;
http://macgyverisms.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-diy-home-theater-projector-and-50-screen-for-only-5-great-for-march-madness-0144568/

Except instead of a laptop, I put a large enough box over an old style CRT TV that I place upside-down on a movable table stand that I can adjust until the focus is right. There is no need to paint the box. Works great. The images are as you see in the demo- sort of faded- and perfect for haunting.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Question ~ I have a 3000 lumens projector and plan on projecting on a large window. I did purchase gray tulle for a holographic effect, but haven't tried it yet. If I go with a white shower curtain for a 'non holographic" image, would placing darker fabric over the shower curtain (like black tulle) help with the "white sheet" effect?
3,000? Wow. The Sun wasn't available? :) That's one you're going to have to try out. Another issue you might have is the projector will be easily visible through the sheet. You're probably going to need to set the projector below the lowest point of the window and project slightly upwards to prevent the lamp from being seen from outside.

Reactions: 6-paq

·
Registered
293 Posts
I assemble the magnifying sheet and cardboard box as shown in this demo;
http://macgyverisms.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-diy-home-theater-projector-and-50-screen-for-only-5-great-for-march-madness-0144568/

Except instead of a laptop, I put a large enough box over an old style CRT TV that I place upside-down on a movable table stand that I can adjust until the focus is right. There is no need to paint the box. Works great. The images are as you see in the demo- sort of faded- and perfect for haunting.
LOL That is pretty awesome. I am going to make that this weekend. Do you use the TV because it's a better image? Also do you use the DVD version?

1 - 20 of 142 Posts