Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was thinking about trying to come up with a cheap way to make it appear that someone was peeking out the window like the one in House Of Wax to possibly deter would-be thieves and I came up with an easy solution. Crude, but easy. I took an old animated reindeer, unplugged the lights on it, and mounted a cheap hockey mask to it. I set it up on top of some storage bins and attached the curtain to the deer head so it would open the same way every time, and I also covered the deer with black cloth to hide what it actually was(this is in a room we don't use mind you, remember I said CRUDE:)). It slowly opens and shuts the curtain if set right and is surprisingly effective! I'm sure an oscillating fan could be used as well.

This is a fresh idea that I haven't put much thought or time into yet, but I know some of you talented people here could come up with a much more attractive and effective method to build this prop, and it's definitely worth a shot. I'm electronics illiterate and this is the best I could do, but it is a creepy effect still. Maybe this will get the creative juices flowing for you guys and someone will make this prop the way it should be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like the idea of an 'animated' one. I made a static peeping tom with the 'eyes that follow you' for my lower floor window that is even with the ground for this Halloween, since I have kids cutting through my yard on an everyday basis infront of that window. It's a 'hand' slightly opening the mini blinds and a 'face' that is looking through the slats. It has been VERY effective, but I think if I have time I might try to rig up something like yours with a reindeer I have, or a fan....GREAT IDEA, thanx!! ...add to the to do list.

·
Registered
310 Posts
We also have had at least one of our tombstones stolen every year - so last year we left lights on in the room facing the front of the house and shut the blinds so you could just barely see between the slats. Then we made a simple sillouette of a person's torso and head out of piece of cardboard and propped it on a chair. From the street it looks like someone is sitting just inside the window - and nothing was stolen last year!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We also have had at least one of our tombstones stolen every year - so last year we left lights on in the room facing the front of the house and shut the blinds so you could just barely see between the slats. Then we made a simple sillouette of a person's torso and head out of piece of cardboard and propped it on a chair. From the street it looks like someone is sitting just inside the window - and nothing was stolen last year!
That's what I was thinking. The only downside to it moving is if watched too long it's obviously fake. The static or sillouette idea might actually be more effective. It moving is still cool though:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts