Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
October.

For most of us, a windy, sometimes stormy month. Recent threads about the wind have got me thinking - how can we take advantage of it?

I think this may be worth serious consideration.

Aeolian instruments are played by Aeolus, the Greek god of the wind. Now, most of us know wind chimes and such, but I'm convinced that the sounds made by wind organs, aeolian flutes and aeolian harps are far more unsettling, eerie and otherwordly than any standard Halloween music you could play on your porch or in your yard.

The tones and chords are downright ghostly, the sort of melody you'd expect to hear when reality goes wrong. Here's some info you fiends might want to check out...

First, here are a couple of homemade aeolian harps. Listen to this and tell me one these wouldn't add some serious creepy to your cemetery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Vx16uhuoc

Here's the maker showing how he makes certain models.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUsnR4ifqNs

This next one is a doozy. This is the Harmonic Fields in Portland. At the beginning, and again near the end, you'll hear gourd flutes. The best example is at about 22:50. These are round gourds with a simple slit cut in the bottom. The sound these suckers make is amazing, and gourds are very autumnal. With some decorative painting, these could be the star of the show. The trick would be to keep them from swinging. They would need to be fixed firmly in place to work.
There's also a line of vertical bamboo flutes about 4 minutes in. Each chamber of the bamboo cane has a slit, each in a slightly different position around the cane, so the flute will (hopefully) play no matter the direction of the wind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vob1xXKl54

And yes, there's even an eHow on making those bamboo flutes from PVC. You could paint on and mount a Jack o' lantern on top, or a skull, or a witch jar, whatever comes to mind.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7851057_make-aeolian-flute.html

I hope this gives you boils and ghouls something positive to consider when thinking about October weather.
And if you like this, there's lots of info on aeolian instruments online.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hmm. Interesting.

I'm reminded of some instruments found in Garth Nix's Abhorsen series, where some large static flutes/pipes are used to help keep the dead in their place. The living can't hear them, and they're sort of natively magically powered like good necromancy. (I'm a big fan of this series, and I've kinda been influenced by it costume-wise.) [wiki link]

Of course, if I actually tried this I think I'd have dead calm all month.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't help but think that wind may not matter.

Painted gourds and decorated vertical flutes could serve as interesting decorations, or could compliment existing setups, but they are made so that IF a breeze kicks up, you get a great sound.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UnOrthodOx,

Aeolian harps - very little. A slight breeze will get them singing, especially the longer ones.

The gourds and bamboo/PVC flutes - they will moan a bit in a slight breeze, but they really start wailing around 10-15 mph.

This is info I've picked up around the net, not personal experience.

I intend to try a few gourd flutes this year.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Quite an otherworldly chorus there... If the wind were to really start roaring, those instruments could likely startle and scare for miles:eek::D

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
Depending on the key those things are discordant & awful. Which is actually a compliment coming from us here. It's kinda cool that you can make one from any box.

But I don't think I like that sound, it makes my teeth hurt.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the small gutter harp in the "how to make an aeolian harp" video, simply because you can put one in your window.

You decide when you're sick of the noise.
A fan inside will guarantee sound.
You can protect it from thieves or the elements.

The noise might actually compliment some ambient music, depending on your selections.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I have a couple of how-to's pinned to my prop board on Pinterest, but I've never tried to make one. It's always windy here on Halloween, so I probably should! Although I agree, as soon as I made a bunch, we'd have no wind...but that would be better for my tombstones and creatures!

·
Registered
697 Posts
i saw this and had to build a couple.. first, the wind has to hit the harp just right, even with the windy days ive had in the past couple of days, the harps barely made any sound. second,, loudness, these things are not loud at all, you need to be pretty close to hear them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts