Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last couple of years I have been wanting to make a tombstone for Shakespeare but am undecided about the final plans.

I was playing around on the computer trying to do a pattern of what I want to do. This is what I have come up with so far. Keep in mind I have pretty much no budget so I am using pieces of styro etc that are already around as leftovers from other projects. I thought I would use a slanted base for an open book with a phrase on it and a feather pen next to it and a stone standing behind it with Shakespeare's picture (hopefully a better picture than the one shown) with his name and dates.

Any ideas?

DSCF2326.JPG

Slanted base with stone behind it would look almost like the two stones on the left if they were put together.

1d243461edc0da9e5cbf9d6f1290e798 - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
277 Posts
I like the design you have in mind. Would you care for a couple of other ideas?

You could use the inscription that is on his actual grave:

Blessed be the man that spares these stones,
And cursed be he that moves my bones.

Then add a groundbreaker or breathing grave....

Depending on your artistic skills, you could try to emulate his funerary monument, which shows him writing.

You might also consider using one of the various spellings of his name that were current at the time. Keep in mind that spelling was mostly phonetic at the time, so it's not unusual to see even personal names spelled different ways. This might add a sense of age to the tombstone.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the design you have in mind. Would you care for a couple of other ideas?

You could use the inscription that is on his actual grave:

Blessed be the man that spares these stones,
And cursed be he that moves my bones.

Then add a groundbreaker or breathing grave....

Depending on your artistic skills, you could try to emulate his funerary monument, which shows him writing.

You might also consider using one of the various spellings of his name that were current at the time. Keep in mind that spelling was mostly phonetic at the time, so it's not unusual to see even personal names spelled different ways. This might add a sense of age to the tombstone.
Hello Eerie

Thanks for your ideas. My skill level isn't too high but I like where you are going with this. I will have to google his monument.

Marie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts